Mate 10 Pro CPW

Associate
Just picked up one of these from CPW for 330 on 1 month rolling - the contract can be cancelled straight away so you get the phone for 350 basically which is a steal for a phone of this quality imho

Speaking of which, the phone is absolutely superb. I'm surprised it is not more popular. I know it gets a lot of flack for EMUI but honestly there is nothing wrong with the skin. Having come from an S8, then a Note 8 and now onto this I find it just as intuitive without all of samsung's irritating bloat. It has some bloat as you'd expect but quite a bit less.

It is buttery smooth which is not surprising as I had a huawei P9 some time back and it was just as smooth.

Anyway just a head's up incase anyone is looking for a Note 8 / Note 9 but wants something better value

Soldato
Mate 10 pro is a great phone. Very underrated, some specs better than the p20, build quality is immense, feels proper premium.

Also now has gpu turbo mode and face unlock (with latest update)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, it's a decent phone, and in terms of value for money it's excellent.

One thing I'd like to be able to change, though, is the sending of long texts as MMS. I saw some on my bill last month, and Vodafone told me it's a phone specific setting, but I can't find any way to get it to split texts of over 160 characters. I'm sure my Galaxy S5 did this okay without turning them into MMS, and I didn't have any problems with my P20 Pro either (though as I didn't have it that long I may just not have sent any texts long enough).

Anyone know of anything I can do to resolve this (I mean, apart form having to keep an eye on the character count...)?

Mobster
Soldato
Yeah, it's a decent phone, and in terms of value for money it's excellent.

One thing I'd like to be able to change, though, is the sending of long texts as MMS. I saw some on my bill last month, and Vodafone told me it's a phone specific setting, but I can't find any way to get it to split texts of over 160 characters. I'm sure my Galaxy S5 did this okay without turning them into MMS, and I didn't have any problems with my P20 Pro either (though as I didn't have it that long I may just not have sent any texts long enough).

Anyone know of anything I can do to resolve this (I mean, apart form having to keep an eye on the character count...)?

Personally I'd just bar MMS on your Vodafone account.

Soldato
@kaktus @strumpusplunket How you getting on with your mate 10 pro guys?

Pretty good.

Apart from the camera and a few minor design differences (notch, software buttons, fingerprint sensor and camera position) I'm hard-pressed in everyday use to tell the difference between this and my old P20 Pro, tbh.

It shares the same excellent battery life. Along with the P20 Pro, it's the only smartphone I've ever owned that allows me to go two days of medium use without a charge. It's such a bonus being able to use it as heavily as I sometimes do (three hours of web connection and screen on time plus general use the rest of the day) without even having to give a thought to whether the battery will run out before the end of the day.

The camera is good (not great), it's nippy in general use, has plenty of storage space, charges quickly.

The only real complaint is the tendency for it to prefer network data to wifi when the signal drops a bit and then to fail to reconnect to wifi when it's in a stronger signal space. If I didn't have a 16GB data plan, I can imagine this would be really aggravating and inconvenient. As it is, for me it's just a mid-level annoyance.

Other than that it's been good. For the price I got it for, it's a fantastic phone.

Associate
OP
@kaktus @strumpusplunket How you getting on with your mate 10 pro guys?

I thought it was an excellent phone tbh. Camera was okay but everything else was superb. I ended up returning it though for one simple reason: I ordered a Nokia X6 (AKA nokia 6.1 plus) from coolicool which took about 30 days to get delivered and I had forgotten about it. However when it did finally turn up, it was so buttery smooth and ran everything I had on the mate 10 pro with no noticeable performance difference whatsoever so I decided to keep the Nokia X6 which I paid 160 quid for and returned the mate 10 pro. Only thing I really miss is the Mate 10's insanely good battery life.

I reckon I'll keep the X6 as a daily runner until I've seen what the mate 20 pro and the Samsung S10 have in store and if they're good I'll pick one of them up 6 months later when the price has come down

Back
Top Bottom