Mates BMW M3 stolen

Man of Honour
https://www.thetrackr.com/bravo/checkout

There were UK deals a while ago. I bought two. It's fun to check your car is still where you parked it when your 130 miles away from it. The BMW remote will only relay the car if it's within 2km (IIRC). It's an app software limitation which other 3rd part apps have cracked, but not always with success, so rather than paying BMW for their tracker, I bought these.
So about double than what you said really with shipping...

Associate
Bugger that, i feel letting them take it so easy only encourages it

I always tuck my keys away out of sight

Bet you would feel it when thier beating the crap out of you or worse still, your wife or kids (if you have any).

A car can easily be replaced, but the emotional scares it would leave behind would never go away especially for the kids all because I hid the car keys..

Caporegime
Yeah and mine, though in my case if my car gets stolen, I either report it to the insurance company and won't be able to insure anything decent for years, or I don't report it and lose the cars value entirely.

Caporegime
If someone really wants your car it won't be a good thing that you have a dog.

In this instance they left an iron bar behind and it won't be because they thought the owner dropped it outside.

Why wouldn't it be good because the dog would tear a chunk out of the thief's leg? It gives you enough time to phone the police for example plus if anyone did try to break into my house the dog would alert me before they even cracked the lock.

Soldato
Why wouldn't it be good because the dog would tear a chunk out of the thief's leg? It gives you enough time to phone the police for example plus if anyone did try to break into my house the dog would alert me before they even cracked the lock.

More likely the dog will just bring the thief its toys and get the iron bar in return.

Soldato
More likely the dog will just bring the thief its toys and get the iron bar in return.
Unlikely, they have a real sense of who "shouldn't" be there - but regardless i agree it's unlikely to end well for dog or really any differently for where the car ends up unless it's just some local chancers.

It's not a real issue where we are but tbh if someone wants either of the cars that badly they can have 'em

Soldato
How comes car manufacturers don't add in remote immobilise feature into cars these days.

£300 phones have them these days. It's not exactly expensive.

Caporegime

I have seen first hand what has happened to a theif when I was a kid. They were trying to steal a caravan and I was at a sleepover at a friends place. (Not the best of areas). The alsation tore him a new one and was being hit with a baseball bat. This is a dog that never did any of the sort before. They really can sense a owners fear.

More to the point the thieves want an easy target They will scout before hand and if they see any big lumbering dogs they will do a j turn straight away and go for easy pickings else where.

Last edited:
Soldato
You may get lucky with the odd protective dog but in most cases you'd more than likely simply be explaining to the kids why Rover is dead at the bottom of the stairs and the car is gone.

Man of Honour
You may get lucky with the odd protective dog but in most cases you'd more than likely simply be explaining to the kids why Rover is dead at the bottom of the stairs and the car is gone.

If its an especially desirable car they'd like case the place and either come prepared or try and poison the dog beforehand anyhow :(

Soldato
My keys are at the bottom of the stairs. The front of the house is covered by 2x visible IP cameras so hopefully some form of deterrent. When you have kids I think getting another car via the insurance is probably the most sensible idea. Stuff like this could scar them for a long time.

Soldato

Make sure your dog doesn't have a collar on while at home. That iron bar would be more effective under the collar and twisted to choke it than trying to hit it.

How comes car manufacturers don't add in remote immobilise feature into cars these days.

£300 phones have them these days. It's not exactly expensive.

You'd think so but it's in the name of safety. They don't want cars konking out in the middle of the road, motorway or junction. Easy way to get around this is to immobilise it once it comes to a stop.

They could tie it to another object that you'll always have with you, if the distance becomes to great the system is triggered. But then they'd just steal that object too, if they knew about it. It's too dangerous to make an anti-theft system that relies on a body part to start it, for example iris, face or finger print recognition. Imagine what they'd do to you then!

So you can't stop them from taking your car but you can deter them; if the likelihood of being caught is high and the consequences severe they won't take the risk. Imagine a system comprising of a few hidden cameras inside with good lighting (including IR) with a mobile phone data connection that broadcasts live via facebook or remote server. Car thieves rarely drive around with balaclavas/masks on so they will be easily identified. Plus a brightly lit car interior will stick out during the night!

Man of Honour
https://www.thetrackr.com/bravo/checkout

There were UK deals a while ago. I bought two. It's fun to check your car is still where you parked it when your 130 miles away from it. The BMW remote will only relay the car if it's within 2km (IIRC). It's an app software limitation which other 3rd part apps have cracked, but not always with success, so rather than paying BMW for their tracker, I bought these.

BMW remote removed that limitation at some point, mine allows me to view the location no matter how far away i am. I think it's MY15 onwards.

Back
Top Bottom