mATX case with side and top exhaust fans

Associate
Hello there,

I have a CiT S012B Slim Micro ATX/ITX Case wity 300W Power Supply Unit with Built In Card Reader.

It has vents on the sides (one on right for PSU and one on left for CPU fan) and top rear for exhausting hot air that rises.

I'm going to fit an intake on the bottom and wondered whether there was any type of fan I could fit to the rear as another intake?

HI2Bddk.jpg
q96Su24.jpg

You mean fit fans to those vent holes above the back plate? If so, not worth it, id rather have intake fans on the bottom with high static pressure to cool the case, fan at the top and any holes in the case will expel hot air fine.

Associate
OP
Bottom of case, it needs to sit under the bottom PCIe slot (there won't be a card blocking airflow).

Bare in mind the side panel hides a multitude of sins so you dont need a fan that fits exactly, it could just rest near the bottom as close to the holes as possible, no need to screw it in, it will still bring air in. I take it you cant fit fans to the side panel as cards are in the way?

Associate
OP
I definitely could attach fans to the side vent, not sure of thickness. The issue isn't CPU cooler shoots hot air towards the side vent and adding a fan there would create a hot air trap.

The case isn't big enough for a rear facing CPU heatsink and fan.

Associate
OP
Id definitely think about side fans, hot air will find its way out the top regardless so anything bringing cool air in is a plus(just not from the top, then all its doing is recirculating).
Fair point

It turns out I have hoarded over 10 large case fans over the years and some have barely been used.

8nVoFXp.jpg

464RQ9b.jpg

This is the size of the vent on the side of the case.

Which fan shall I go with?

Soldato
Interesting project. The grills in your case are extremely restrictive. Punched metal grill with 3.2mm diameter holes on 6mm centers has 30% open area. Looking at your pics and assuming holes are about same 3.2mm diameter it looks like it has even less open area. End result is it will be hard to move much air quietly.

2x 80mm intakes in in side is probably best. Are bottom vents same hole pattern and big enough for 2x 80mm fans? If they are I think I would put 2x 80mm fans on them and raise case up so there is 25-30mm on sides from what case sets on to bottom of case for better airflow to vents. Even better would be to cut out bottom vents to 80mm round hole for 80mm vent grill like Silverstone make. https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=269&bno=61&tb=54&area=en

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom