mATX cases - Silverstone RL08 and Fractal Meshify C Mini / others?

Associate
Associate
OP
Yeah the Silverstone is really nice, and is the primary contender at the moment. The inverted layout is a bonus as I have the PC on the left usually. Only thing I don't like is theres no option to buy without an optical bay. Its removable, but you still have the cut out in the mesh for it. It would be so much cleaner if there was a no bay option.

How are Rajintek as a brand? In my mind they've always been a "value" option with worse (but acceptable) build quality than someone like Fractal, Silverstone etc, but that view may be entirely out of date or otherwise wrong.

Associate
I have no personal experience with Rajintek.
Haven't heard any quality or budgety issues about them either. Used to labeled them under "flashy" cases before.

Limitation of Thetis is max 120mm fan size (2 top 1 rear 1 bottom) and as consequence max 240mm radiator.

Soldato
Corsair Cryatal 280x or Air 240?

Raijintek Styx

Inwin 301

Bitfenix Prodigy & Phenom (same case, different styling)

(Discontinued) NZXT H400

(upcoming) Lian Li PC-011 Mini

(way over budget) Sliger Cerberus

There isn't a lot of choice in MATX really. It's a bit of an unloved form factor. The "best" of the above and the other listed ideas comes down to priorities.

Something worth considering; the Thetis can take an ATX motherboard, and is smaller than either the Meshify or the RL08 (which aren't much smaller than a standard mid-tower).

Also might be worth giving ITX a look; the case selection below 30L is better than MATX. Lian Li's TU150 is great (if you're happy with air cooling), around the £100 mark, and actually is fairly small.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't like the "fat" form factor of the Corsairs at all. Inwin 301 was one I looked at, but I do prefer the mesh front look. I'll see what I think of the others :)

Being the smallest possible wasn't a requirement, simply smaller than what I have now which both the ones in the OP are.

Soldato
There is the Silverstone CS330 which is basically a relaunch of their classic m-ATX Temjin TJ08-E case. Still one of the most compact mATX cases available. So many mATX cases end up being almost as big as the smaller ATX cases.

The only problem with mATX is the limited motherboard choice, which seems to get worse every year. Make sure you have found a mATX board you are happy with first.

Associate
OP
There is the Silverstone CS330 which is basically a relaunch of their classic m-ATX Temjin TJ08-E case. Still one of the most compact mATX cases available. So many mATX cases end up being almost as big as the smaller ATX cases.

The only problem with mATX is the limited motherboard choice, which seems to get worse every year. Make sure you have found a mATX board you are happy with first.

I've ordered an MSI Mortar MAX and a 3700X. Choice was limited, but the Mortar seems a very decent spec for the money, and I don't need PCIe4.0 so X570 would have been of little benefit to me. Is the CS330 available yet? Can't seem to find a retailer for it.

Associate
OP
I ended up getting the RL08!

Like it so far, few minor annoyances like the HDD cage under the PSU shroud is not easily removable, but overall was a breeze to build in.

At some point I will want to replace the PSU cables as the stock Corsair ones for PCI Express are the dual connector type, and are a flat cable, which isn't too nice for management. Some nice red Cablemod ones would go well I think.

Associate
OP
Can see what I mean with the PCIE power cables here. Cooler pipes are a little on the short side which meant with the pump rotated 180 degrees, they were under a little bit of tension which I did not like. Makes no difference performance-wise, its just an aesthetics thing of having the Thermaltake logo right side up. There's a bit of up down wriggle room with the radiator mounting, so at some point I'll see if I can mount it a little lower down and rotate the pump.

d9Yq4Ye.jpg

Associate
silverstone rep finding release date info. will post up hopefully when they get it

I have been summoned. Big guy so summoning takes few days...

Unfortunately I don't have date for CS330 due some delays. Chinese New Year was "extended" due Corona and factories are yet to have started manufacturing. Should get up and running this week, but that is still just "should". So hopefully CS330 arrives to Europe in Q2 but no promises.

Soldato
I have been summoned. Big guy so summoning takes few days...

Unfortunately I don't have date for CS330 due some delays. Chinese New Year was "extended" due Corona and factories are yet to have started manufacturing. Should get up and running this week, but that is still just "should". So hopefully CS330 arrives to Europe in Q2 but no promises.

Welcome !

Need to get one of the reps to give you Vendor Rep Status :)

Back
Top Bottom