Matx motherboard for ryzen 1700

Associate
Hi, just thought I would ask on this post as it's relevant ...

I'm looking to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 1700 from an i5 4570. I'm looking for recommendations on a matx board that has simple overclocking options (I'm hoping to just have presets in the BIOS to OC the CPU).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Associate
what's your budget for the whole lot? have you got the 1700 already?
fyi, also the ram isn't compatible (ddr3 on your 4570 vs ddr4 on the ryzen)

Yes, I'll need to upgrade my DDR3 too but I think my 700W PSU should still be fine. After the cost of the Ryzen CPU and DDR4 RAM, I'd be looking to buy a matx motherboard for about £80 maximum. I'm not into RGB at all so long as it can do some simple overclocking I'm happy :)

Man of Honour
Associate
I'm a bit out of date in CPU names / versions. It looks as though the Ryzen 5 2600x is about the same price as the Ryzen 7 1700 but that Ryzen 5 is better for gaming? If that's the case I will go with that. How do you which are the newer chips? the (2)600 identifying the second gen?

My PSU is 5 years old but checking my ****** order history I can see it's a 'Coolermaster G-Series 700W Fully Wired 80+ Bronze Power Supply'.

Associate
So is a new PSU needed? I'm hoping not as it may go over my budget. A 2600/x and the RAM will be about £300 and then a motherboard on top is looking to be around £380 in total.

I'm still finding it difficult to catch up on any particular chipset being the best to use in motherboards too.

Associate
Well, it was £80 for the motherboard going with my original plan as mentioned above. But as things have changed, overall I don't want to spend more than £400 in total for everything required (CPU, RAM, motherboard - and hopefully not a PSU)

Associate
Hi again all,

I bought the Ryzen 5 2600X, MSI Mortar B450m and Corsair DDR4 3200 RAM.

I've been putting things together however I've noticed my old Cooler Master G700 PSU doesn't have a single 4pin CPU connect that is required for this motherboard. It does however (looking at the link to that Cooler Master PSU site), have a CPU 4+4 pin. I have found these and they do insert (though it doesn't look like the shapes of the pins and connectors match). Is this still safe to install this way? Just want to check.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom