Maximus Xi Apex + Cablemod Adressible RGB strip - HELP Please

Soldato
Good morning all,

Dumb question for some I know, but I have recently upgraded to the board in subject (bit overkill for me i know!

I have a Cablemod addressable RGB strip which comes with some adapters (to chain multiple strips) and also one which I'm told is for connecting to Asus boards for Aura support, which looks like a 3 pin fan adapter of some sorts?

I have an addressable RGB header on my mainboard and a normal RGB header, but cant figure out how to connect it and dont want to do it wrong incase i fry anything!

The addressable header on the board is 4 pins, and the motherboard somes with an adapter, but that also gives 4 pins out the other end, and the strip has only 3 pins in?

What simple thing am I missing?

Soldato
RGB and ARGB do not mix .

There are two forms of 3 PIN ARGB headers male/female. This is 3 pins close together, or using a 4 pin connector but one middle one is blocked

Soldato
OP
RGB and ARGB do not mix .

There are two forms of 3 PIN ARGB headers male/female. This is 3 pins close together, or using a 4 pin connector but one middle one is blocked

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The motherboard I have has a ARGB header (white, 4 pin width, but only 3 actual pins, one missing) but the Strip I have from cablemod (listed as addressable) is 3 pin female in. as are all of the adapters supplied with it? :

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-addressable-led-strip-60cm-rgb/

My motherboard has an extension cable for the ARGB strip header but then I cant see how to connect this to my 3 pin strip?

Sorry this probably sounds really dumb...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, i think at this point, as I only wanted 1 strip, I could get something like this?: Speclux Magnetic LED Strip, Addressable PC LED, Digital ARGB Strip, 50cm (Only Compatible with 5V 3-PIN ADD Header) [Energy Class A+] [Energy Class A+] - From the rainforrest? as I cant see anything similar on OCUK?

This looks like it will go right into the ARGB header on my mainboard with no need for a controller?

Soldato
Seems that kit already has an adaptor to go from 4 pin ARGB (spaced ) to 3 pin (close together )

When ARGB first launched , it was Gigabyte that did it first with 3 close pins together. Other vendors followed but used the current 4 pin RGB and blanked one of the connection. Phanteks also use close 3 pin headers

Soldato
OP
Seems that kit already has an adaptor to go from 4 pin ARGB (spaced ) to 3 pin (close together )

When ARGB first launched , it was Gigabyte that did it first with 3 close pins together. Other vendors followed but used the current 4 pin RGB and blanked one of the connection. Phanteks also use close 3 pin headers

So the physical strip itself is 3 pin female (5V) the ARGB header on my mainboard is 4Pin male (Spaced). The motherboard has an extension cable but the male end of this is also 4pin male.

The adapters supplied with the strip fit neither the motherboard header layout or vice versa? unless im missing something really obvious ...

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom