maybe need a new router

Associate
Hi all

so I have been having a weird issue with my internet connection

I'm with talktalk and use a Asus DSL-N55u router and keep getting a problem where I have an error message that says my phone or Ethernet cable is not plugged in, then after a few minutes it will connect back to the internet.

some days it only happens once or twice but on bad times its up and down every half hour. I cant seem to find anything to suggest if its an issue with the talk talk connection or a problem with the router (tho google did find some forum posts where ppl were having the same issue)

firstly any ideas if this is provider issue or a router issue? and secondly if it sounds like a router issue what is a decent router to be looking at as a replacement

thanks

Soldato
Open two command prompts.

In one run PING 192.168.1.1 -t (replace 192.168.1.1 with your router's actual IP address).

In the other run PING 8.8.8.8 -t

Leave them both running. When you have the problem do they both stop getting replies, or only one of them?

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for your tips

I tried doing what you suggested when I ping the google dns (8.8.8.8 is google right?) I get timed out for every attempt
when I ping the local router it get a ping back

am I right in thinking this means the issue is from the provider / phone line end, rather than any issue between the pc and router?

thanks again

Soldato
The ping to google should be getting replies under normal circumstances. It should only time out when there's a problem.

If that is the case and it's only the google ping that starts to timeout then that does point to a problem between the router and your isp.

Back
Top Bottom