Mayhems Blitz failed - loads of junk in my loop

Soldato
Apologies for making yet another thread but i've stumbled from one mistake to another with my first loop.

When i got my two new Hardware Labs radiators i spent ages flushing them out with water and vinegar - i must have filled and emptied them 20 times. I was still getting small flecks of black coming out so i bought Mayhems Blitz part 1. I followed the instructions to a tee and flushed the rads after a good 10 times or so.

I just finished draining the loop after it had been up and running about a week and found LOADS of black flecks in the fluid.

I just removed the GPU block and it really looks to me like the micro fins are already getting blocked up. I assume the CPU block will be the same. I've tried to take pictures but my camera is just too crappy to really show it.

I'm more concerned about my pump, specifically how to clean it and how to spot any damage.

This whole thing has been such an ordeal i wish i'd never bothered.

:(

Soldato
OP
I can confirm my CPU block cold plat is filled with black stuff. I just tried cleaning with a toothbrush but i cant get it out. :(

Associate
This is very odd. You got the blitz part 1 all the way into the rads, all the air out etc, then left it for 9ish hours? Then you used part 2 afterwards? After using part 2 and flushing/shaking with distilled/deionised water a few times, was the water coming out fleck-free?

What fluid are you using?

I ended up with a couple of black bits in my loop - plastic from where the threads were drilled in the pump ports - but nothing on the scale of what you mention, and certainly nothing that would get stuck in fins and not come out with a brush. Can you tell at all what the makeup of the black stuff is. Does it look like paint?

Re the pump. You should be able to take it apart and clean it out without too much drama. There won't be any damage.

Soldato
OP
This is very odd. You got the blitz part 1 all the way into the rads, all the air out etc, then left it for 9ish hours? Then you used part 2 afterwards? After using part 2 and flushing/shaking with distilled/deionised water a few times, was the water coming out fleck-free?

Yup, about 10 hours.

What fluid are you using?

It's just de-ionised water at the moment, i was always planning on replacing it with Mayhems X1 pre-mix.

I ended up with a couple of black bits in my loop - plastic from where the threads were drilled in the pump ports - but nothing on the scale of what you mention, and certainly nothing that would get stuck in fins and not come out with a brush. Can you tell at all what the makeup of the black stuff is. Does it look like paint?

Re the pump. You should be able to take it apart and clean it out without too much drama. There won't be any damage.

Soldato
OP
After taking it all apart i'm 99% certain the debris is from the inlet and outlet ports on my EK pump/res combo. The threads look quite rough and i could actually see thin strips hanging off, albeit very small pieces.

I dont know if this is normal, a manufacturing fault or error on my part by screwing the fittings in too tight?

Associate
After taking it all apart i'm 99% certain the debris is from the inlet and outlet ports on my EK pump/res combo. The threads look quite rough and i could actually see thin strips hanging off, albeit very small pieces.

I dont know if this is normal, a manufacturing fault or error on my part by screwing the fittings in too tight?

Any chance of some photos mate? Sorry to hear about the grief you are having! :(

My loop still isn't put together yet!

Soldato
OP
Any chance of some photos mate? Sorry to hear about the grief you are having! :(

My loop still isn't put together yet!

Unfortunately my camera phone is absolute pants so i cant take any photos that actually show anything meaningful. A guy on another forum where i posted this same thread has said that EK acetal products are known to be far too soft and therefore utter garbage.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to contact EK and see if they'll replace the part. They do an acrylic version which should be more durable so i'll ask if they'll send me one those. I'm not getting my hopes though.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately my camera phone is absolute pants so i cant take any photos that actually show anything meaningful. A guy on another forum where i posted this same thread has said that EK acetal products are known to be far too soft and therefore utter garbage.
Don't say that, I've just bought an EK acetal GPU & CPU block!

Soldato
OP
Don't say that, I've just bought an EK acetal GPU & CPU block!

You probably wont be as unlucky as me. Just screw some fittings in, take them out, check the threads to see if they look clean. If they fray like the ones on my pump top just send them back.

I'd send mine back but i actually bought it about 10 weeks ago so they (not OCUK) might not accept an RMA at this point.

Associate

I doubt screwing them in too tight would do that the rubber o ring would squash up before you had chance to strip a thread. Did you double thread it perhaps? Sounds like a bad product to be honest just one that slipped quality control

Soldato
You often have tiny bits of swarf left over on the acetal, but usually not to the extent where there is no thread left. They are quite a coarse thread so do take a lot of force to strip. Never managed to strip any of my GPU/CPU blocks and i put all the fittings in with allen keys. Same with the reservoirs and tops they usually are very good. I've had mine mega tight, tightening with the extra leverage from an elbow fitted in the multi-port top. Could just easily be one that has missed QC.

If not contact EK and they will send a new one, they do have excellent customer service from experience!

Back
Top Bottom