MBP 15" retina 3-4 weeks!!

GeX

GeX

Soldato
A lot of things will look crappy on the display, so although you might be waiting a couple of weeks at least it's time for updated apps to appear.

Surprised to see a couple of people going straight to the top of the range for their first Mac. A few years ago the general trend was to hedge your bets with a Mac mini or lower end MacBook. I suppose it's perceived as less risky these days.

I'm a WinMo / Android developer, and want to get into iOS - so this makes the most sense for me.

As a side note, I got cold feet re the RAM after finding it was soldered. Called up to see if the order can be changed to 16gb; had to cancel it and reorder - back to the back of the queue for me :(

GeX

GeX

Soldato
This is true.

I'm pondering going for the full fat 512gb as well now - but then keep thinking the money would be better put toward a Thunderbolt display.

Associate
OP
i had to trade the 16gb for the 512ssd.

couldn't afford both, hdd is more important to me as i work with a large amount of photo's. (only as a hobby so 8gb is already overkill, imo)

funny what we trade off for something else. Others will flame me for that decision, but hey i know what i wants/need :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
funny what we trade off for something else. Others will flame me for that decision, but hey i know what i wants/need :)

I'll bite :)

You have thunderbolt on the macbook pro which means you could stick an external, very small 512 SSD in whenever you need space. That will cost you ~£450. You can't do the same with memory so I would have gone for the memory upgrade. 256gb is a huge amount of space for most people. You only need more than that if you are keeping loads of music / videos on there.

For photos, another 256gb isn't going to be enough is it ultimately. You would still have to get an external drive for backups etc.

Permabanned
All big oem builders do it to be fair, and have done so for over 20 years.

True - options are where most OEM builders get their markup. Apple have always overcharged for the base product.

Don't get me wrong - I love the build quality, the ease of use & have ordered one myself (as above) - but I still think they're overpriced for what they are.

Both Dell and HP, however, have much improved the prices of things like SSDs - it's only really Apple still adding a gigantic markup (and purposefully altering the connector so that you can't install your own!)

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Yeah, I suspect it'll be here before the actual quoted date - but my previous order (before I found out the RAM was soldered was due to arrive ~3rd July).

Back
Top Bottom