MBP 15" retina 3-4 weeks!!

Associate
OP
spoke with my apple buyer today (brought my MBP retina from work) and stock should be landing start of next week from our supplier.

That means I expect to have mine around Wednesday. which can't come quick enough!!

Associate
Reading also has lots on display but I didn't ask if they had any to sell! The screen is amazing but it's too expensive for my tastes. When they put that display in the Airs I might be tempted to upgrade my late 2010 model.

Permabanned
jesus, the price of those i could have a 10x better spec laptop lol

Uhhhhh... no... no you couldn't :confused:

The only place these potentially "fall down" is if you were to choose to use them for gaming... but even then, they perform admirably compared to most laptops.

The screen, the construction, the battery life - nothing can beat it in these areas & they're the three most important areas when you're on the move.

Soldato
It's expensive certainly. However, it's also cutting-edge technology and that always costs a premium.

Hopefully the price of the retina MacBook Pros will slowly fall.

Associate
I got mine ordered last Wednesday.
I went for the 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM option.
256GB Flash Storage is enough for me, especially since i kept the 128gb ssd from my 2010 MbPro and can use it now on usb3 or Thunderbolt, my old MBPro didn't have TB. It's a win win situation for me..
Should have mine this Friday..

Associate
I'm think of getting a 15" Pro in September/October as I'm contemplating going back to uni to do a masters and need a laptop. What puts me off the new Pro is you can't upgrade anything on it and @ £1700 quid I'd probably be keeping it a few years.

I guess the problem is by the time I upgrade the 'classic' pro to 8GB of RAM and add the high-res glare free screen it's only 200 quid less than the new Pro. Tough choice......

Last edited:
Associate
With the classic model, you can easily upgrade the RAM or HDD yourself. I've replaced the optical drive in my 13" with a 2nd HDD which is great if you then slap an SSD in boot drive.

The retina model definitely doesnt allow any upgrades.

Associate
So can i got into an Apple store in London and buy one of these? Or are they 3-4 weeks in stores as wel?

I'd contact the store first, they might only get a very limited supply. It kinda like with all new apple products, the initial supply of stock is quite low for the first couple of months. I'd love to see the new one in the "flesh" myself but I'm leaning towards the classic one as an optical drive would come in handy still.

Either way I'm glad Apply have gone back to nvidia for the their GPUs.

Associate
Ask yourself when was the last time you used optical media on a portable device such as this?

Could always buy a portable USB DVD-RW drive. I picked up a Samsung one for £15 off amazon for those very rare occasions I require it, its been perfect so far.

Soldato
Just went and had another play to be sure and for me the portability size/weight is more important so this is what I have decided to order:

Base 13" MBA with 8GB RAM
+ 27" Apple Cinema Display
£1,674.00 (HE)

Otherwise the base MBPR with 16GB RAM is:
£1,664.40 (HE)

I'll probably sell the MBA when a 13" Retina is released then.

Back
Top Bottom