MBP & External Monitor Help

Soldato
I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how to get my external monitor working reliably as the primary and only display with my MBP.

When the MBP is either powered from the mains / charging or running batteries, my external monitor works as a secondary screen with the laptop lid open. When I close the lid, whilst running the InsomniaX utility which prevents it from sleeping, the laptop screen switches off but my external monitor is still treated as a secondary display, which means I get no Dock or menu bar.

Is there a way to set the primary display in OS X? What would be ideal is if I can get it to use the external monitor as the primary one when the MBP lid is closed and the MBP screen as the primary when it's open. Suggestions welcome :)

I'm getting on very well with my shiny new MBP otherwise - it's a lovely machine :)

arty

Soldato
OP
OMG, just found this out after trying to work it out for about 4 days. You can drag the inconsequential-looking little white bar at the top of the relevant display in the System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement tab between displays to set the one on which the menu bar and dock appear. Genius! :cool:

I think I'm all set now :D

arty

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Well done, that's a commonly asked question too :)

Who'd have thought it was as easy as drag n drop

Soldato
EVH said:

It's a mac, it's always that easy :D

It did take me a few puzzled moments to suss it as well, I didn't notice the bar, but when I saw it I realised.

Soldato
OP
EVH said:

I couldn't find any mention of it in the Mac Help, that's the funny thing. For everything else I've looked up the in-built help has actually been helpful, so I was surprised that no mention of this was made and thus assumed it would require hackery to work.

I'm still chuffed even this morning. This tip should definitely be added to the Sticky! :)

arty

Soldato
OP
I have a new query: does anyone know whether there are any problems in running a MBP largely from the mains whilst the battery is still in? For fairly long periods of time mine will be used on the desk where it charges and it's convenient to just leave it plugged in, but I'm concerned that it might affect battery life. So far I've been unable to find a definite answer to this on the Internet, so any links to articles would be most helpful. Thanks :)

arty

Soldato
arty said:
I have a new query: does anyone know whether there are any problems in running a MBP largely from the mains whilst the battery is still in? For fairly long periods of time mine will be used on the desk where it charges and it's convenient to just leave it plugged in, but I'm concerned that it might affect battery life. So far I've been unable to find a definite answer to this on the Internet, so any links to articles would be most helpful. Thanks :)

arty

I run mine like that too. When it's plugged in and fully charged it runs of the mains the whole time and when you unplug it it will use the battery. I don't think there is any problems, haven't heard of any either. You just need to remember to fully drain your battery and then charge it every so often to keep it in good shape.

Soldato
arty said:

arty

My Macbook, once it's charged, the light on the charger lead goes green (from orange) and when it's green, the battery's bypassed completely - you can take it out if you want to - and it's just running from mains. I can only assume it's the same on the MBP.

Soldato
Mohinder said:
My Macbook, once it's charged, the light on the charger lead goes green (from orange) and when it's green, the battery's bypassed completely - you can take it out if you want to - and it's just running from mains. I can only assume it's the same on the MBP.

Yup the charger changes to green and the book states the battery can be removed. Thus I assume it's bypassed too.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies, all - that's good news to hear that it's bypassed. It will get used without being connected to the mains fairly often, but not all the time, so this is useful information :)

arty

Back
Top Bottom