McDonald's and sheeple

Soldato
I suppose in reality, it's crap food, but people are fed up with lockdown and just want a taste of normal life again. Even if the packaging is more nutritious than the food.

Probably a bit unfair being so harsh. Whatever makes you happy :)

I have to agree with this post. I would say that to most people its not a case of "Must.. Have.. Maccys" or a comment on the taste/quality/nutritional value of it but more of a possible light at the end of the tunnel/return to somewhat close to normality which people are accustom to. I think this lockdown has taken a pretty hefty psychological toll on a lot of people and if this is how they can gain a bit of respite to that then all the power to them.

Not for me, I cant be bothered queueing for that long for what it is but can see how it can appeal to others.

Associate
Maybe my viewing angle on this is wrong because I carried on working in the office throughout all this so my sense of normal hasn't really changed relative to others, but if I was in week 8 or 9 of being in the house, be it furloughed or working from home a bit of queueing for something that felt like some normalcy would be fine.

Soldato
I wouldn't wait for an hour for a Michelin star restaurant
Hell, I would!
An hour at such a place will usually be spent in a nice air-conditioned bar or lounge, being furnished with various side nibbles, appetisers and the like, while you wait... and if the wait was not to be expected, chances are your bill will be greatly reduced too.
I'll take that over an hour-long queue at McDonalds any day!

Man of Honour
Maybe my viewing angle on this is wrong because I carried on working in the office throughout all this so my sense of normal hasn't really changed relative to others, but if I was in week 8 or 9 of being in the house, be it furloughed or working from home a bit of queueing for something that felt like some normalcy would be fine.
I think this is a big factor. I hate McDonalds because of the quality of the food. But my kids like it occasionally as a "treat" (maybe once a month) and I will only have some chips myself. But my daughter keeps asking when we can go an get one because she's really missing it.

Soldato
Meh. Honest Burgers have reopened for delivery now. Now that's what you call a good burger. I haven't been to Mcdonalds for years.

Soldato
Actually cheap mince makes nicer burgers, higher fat content.

But yes, I agree with you.

Even easier just buy burgers from your supermarket, Tesco £2.50 for 4 quarter pounders, get some baps, then throw in some fresh tomato, onion, sauce cheese and gherkins of your choice, it's really not much effort, and you'll end up making 4 nice quarter pounders for about £4.

I'm not completely anti McDonald's either, they are ok, I'd probably only have it a couple of times a year, certainly wouldn't be going out of my way in the current climate, to queue up for an hour.

Definitely.

I quite like the cheddar and red onion quarter pounders from ASDA actually.

It was literally the next post :D

lol! Hands up, I'm one of those people.

Hell, I would!
An hour at such a place will usually be spent in a nice air-conditioned bar or lounge, being furnished with various side nibbles, appetisers and the like, while you wait... and if the wait was not to be expected, chances are your bill will be greatly reduced too.
I'll take that over an hour-long queue at McDonalds any day!

Not my scene really, I've never liked sitting around waiting, when I go out to eat I like to be sat down and served within 20 minutes of walking through the doors.

Soldato
I'm not too fussed with fast food burgers but I could murder some fish, chips & mushy peas from a decent chippy. :(

Ours have been open for a couple of weeks now. It started with online orders only but then they have fully opened with social distancing implemented.. That said I don't know where Baa is.. ;)

Caporegime
Has McDonald not changed in 16 years since supersize me?

One of the only fast food restaurants i can visit up here that isnt Swedish is McDs.
Its all bean sallads and low carb burgers here... the "Meat" is meat, sludge MMR or not. lol
I guess the Food served adapts to the country more.
You can stil get the normal things and ill happily have one of their deep fried applepie things. My god they are so freaking good. I am glad they have never changed.

Ive always found the concept of eating 3 meals from McD a bit weird anyway. You could literally have anything you want here. Even porridge at breakfast.
THeir prepacked salad is naff but thats more due to distribution times i would have thought..

Anyway back on topic. I CANT CONTROL MYSELF AND EAT 2000 CALORIES PER MEAL TIME. omg its so true!

Man of Honour
Have been very pleased to support some of Birmingham’s finest independent restaurants during the lockdown. Original Patty Men are in a different universe compared to Maccers, and someone delivers it to me!
I'm gutted that I'm well outside of the delivery radius for all the guys that appear at Digbeth and I'm too lazy to drive all the way into Brum and back to click and collect :o

Soldato
Ours have been open for a couple of weeks now. It started with online orders only but then they have fully opened with social distancing implemented.. That said I don't know where Baa is.. ;)

Paradise city - where the girls are green and the grass is pretty (North Wales).

Soldato
I'm not too fussed with fast food burgers but I could murder some fish, chips & mushy peas from a decent chippy. :(
Our local chippy has reopened with social distancing measures in place, been really really busy with people phone ordering and just collecting rather than the pre-lockdown of waiting in the actual shop

Soldato
Our local chippy has reopened with social distancing measures in place, been really really busy with people phone ordering and just collecting rather than the pre-lockdown of waiting in the actual shop

That's a good idea. Hmm, I'll make some enquiries but I'm pretty sure none of my local chippys are open at all.

Soldato
Yeah we thought so, they also had a bistro/sit in area at the side that they di theme nights and last weekend they did the collection only theme night, she posted on Facebook that they sold out within 20 minutes of being announced.

I think posters touched on it earlier in the thread that it's not necessarily the food that people are wanting it's the sense that things are starting to get back to pre-lockdown times.

Soldato
Our local chippy didn't close at all, so we've been using it every couple of weeks. People wait outside rather than inside but apart from that it didn't change.

Soldato
Do McDonalds not have a healthier vegan burger offering (like kfc or BK) ... the excuse of visiting them to try that out might be acceptable ?

Soldato
Not my scene really, I've never liked sitting around waiting, when I go out to eat I like to be sat down and served within 20 minutes of walking through the doors.
Depends on the restaurant.
Somewhere like a TGIs, Frankie & Benny's, or a Brasserie, or a pub, sure. But fine dining is all about taking your time and enjoying the experience. You'd normally get sat down and given opening drinks with some nibbles while you peruse the menu, but it's more like a seven or eight course dinner so you don't want to be rushing that anyway. It's probably about half an hour between walking in the door, and sitting at your table being served your chef's pre-starter, which by then is possibly your third dish.

Permabanned
I think this is a big factor. I hate McDonalds because of the quality of the food. But my kids like it occasionally as a "treat" (maybe once a month) and I will only have some chips myself. But my daughter keeps asking when we can go an get one because she's really missing it.

I don't eat the Chips just cheese burgers.

Back
Top Bottom