McLaren P15......Good God....it's just......wow, no words!

Caporegime
Go home Mclaren, you're drunk.

Seriously that has to be one of the ugliest cars ever made. Sadly they'll all be garage queens and the value will only go up for no reason other than exclusivity and because Mclaren.

Soldato
For some reason the side view reminds me of the Jetsons.

Modern supercars have to many "bits" on them. I preferred the cleaner look of the Ferrari 355 and F40.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
That really does ming badly.
Wonder how many owners will:
- Ask for their money back once they've bathed their eyes
- Ask how it ever passed pedestrian safety checks with what appears to be a CFAB (carbon fibre ankle breaker). We all know how these manufacturers like to use acronyms
- Instantly put it in their underground car parks. Not for investment reasons, purely to avoid having to accidentally look at it

Soldato
bwWEpDT.png

ha ha..............it's impossible to change without 3D Software, this is just a bit of fun.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Horrible, glass lower door wtf. How could they go from the P1 to that.

Because the P1 was slightly compromised by its need to satisfy both road and track requirements, therefore it was not as much of an out and out track car, according to McLaren designers.

So the P1 will be replaced by two cars.

The Senna (P15) is road legal yes, (although only building 500 means they do not have to pass many tests needed for more mass produced road cars) that is not what it was primarily designed for.

The Senna, is focused much much more on going round tracks as fast as possible, hence the far more overt and extreme aero, the big weight loss program (over 200kg lighter than the P1 already), and the real concentration on power to weight ratio and down force.

There will be a P15 GTR mid to end 2018 which will be a pure bred track car, (not road legal at all), and once they have lost another up to possibly 80kg from ditching the stuff needed to make it road legal, it will be even faster, than this P15 which is already faster than the P1.

Later in 2018 there will be the road replacement to the P1, which will hark back to the F1 with its center seat layout, currently code-named BP23, already engineers are claiming it will be the fastest ever McLaren, with a power output in excess of 1000bhp, that is a claim that should be easily achievable, so looking forward to a McLaren that will outperform the F1's top speed of 240mph, and the P1's de-limited top speed of 250.

But there will be no track versions of the BP23 an no spider versions.

The Senna P15 will be the track car, and the BP23 will be the road car, so neither will need to be compromised to be able to do the other aspect.

Associate
Seems very much a function over form design consideration. Yes it's not pretty, but it's clearly designed as a car to go fast round a track, not look pretty on the street.

Soldato
I remember watching a documentary about the development of the spitfire and they had a quote from a chap which went along the lines of "if it looks like it flies good it probably does"

Make of that quote what you will of that car

So since a car is trying to get the opposite of a plane, downforce instead of uplift then it should be as ugly as possible? :p

I expect it's substance over style and I kind of implore them for taking that stance.

olv

olv

Soldato
What happened to the F1 style centre seat that they showed in the prototype photos? Or is this not the P1 replacement?

Caporegime
What happened to the F1 style centre seat that they showed in the prototype photos? Or is this not the P1 replacement?

As I said in my post above this is one of the two replacements for the P1.

To reduce the need for compromise they are making two cars to replace the one .

The P15 (Senna) is basically a track car, designed and built to go as fast as possible around a track.

The BP23 coming later will be the road going replacement for the P1, with the center seat layout a la F1, and the comfort, and luxuries, etc needed for road driving.

Back
Top Bottom