McLaren P15......Good God....it's just......wow, no words!

Caporegime
I am 100% with you guys.

This is a proper uncompromising race car which can be used on the road, although sadly I imagine many will simply sit in people's garages on display.

I reckon the wing, whilst functional, is deliberately garish to accentuate this point.

There are much softer designed supercars to appease daily use.

The BP23 which will be the roadcar replacement for the P1.

That will be the softer smoother lined car that people here seem to be wanting. It will also have the three seat layout from the old F1, and be designed as a luxury grand-tourer not an out and out hypercar.

Associate
38945846481_657f875cb3_b.jpg
2014-McLaren-P1.jpg

For comparison. Hmmmm.

Man of Honour
It's certainly purposeful. Not sure on the rear wing, like many others. But the wing looks like a development of the one on the P1 GTR.

Caporegime
38945846481_657f875cb3_b.jpg
2014-McLaren-P1.jpg

For comparison. Hmmmm.

And that is supposed to prove what ??

The P1 was a compromised car, it was not pure road car, and it was too much road car to bne pure track car.

The P15 is far more track orientated.

It was built almost no compromise, although during design they did decide to make it orad legal, which was a cop out in my opinion.

At least with the P15 GTR there will be no cop out and it will be pure track only car and not at all road legal .

Soldato
People have been posting the AMG Project One/Aston Martin Vulcan/McLaren Senna comparison shots and to be frank, none of them as especially "Pretty" cars.

The McLaren is the worst looking of the three from distance I think, mainly because it looks like a toy. But the other two are considerably more expensive!

Soldato
the one on the right hand side needs a wing too, but not as extreme as the P15, AAAHH OK so it has a wing on Google...............but we cant afford it so who cares !

Caporegime
the one on the right hand side needs a wing too, but not as extreme as the P15, AAAHH OK so it has a wing on Google...............but we cant afford it so who cares !

The one on the right hand side has a rear wing, you just cannot see it as it is retracted into the bodywork in that pic.

The P1 GTR the track variant of the car on the right has a fixed rear wing more like the P15.

Proper track cars need proper aero, and you cannot have proper aero, with retractable wings and pretty cars.

Man of Honour
OP
Thing is....

It's going to be slower than a proper race car (LMP2/LMP3) and more expensive.
It's going to be no quicker, frankly in many situations slower than a well sorted sports car A to B.
It's going to be driven in the main around Mayfair, Dubai, Moscow, upstate NY and probably not go close to a race circuit.
It's going to be revved lots, view lots of people drinking coffee and be clocked, the sold to round 2 speculators.
It's going to intimidate 90% of it's owners who will never get close to anything it's been built to do.
It's going to cost 20K to service when all they do is pump the tyres up....with panda farts no doubt.

I better than most here get the type of people who buy these cars as I know several. I am aware of a few who are getting one of these, but to me these are nothing more than vanity objects for the hyper car illuminati, one or two exceptions aside. I turn up at most car meets in an R8 V10 and people want to bum me and be my friend and that is cool, I am super sexy and dead friendly. I also get a kick from the young lad at a service station with his dad fawning over it and shouting "look dad, a Polo GTI" and I am happy to put time aside to let kids sit in the car, have some pictures taken, rev the engine because I was that lad in the 1970's. It's the next generation petrolhead, it is car owning law that we do these things when having something nice that petrol heads like, whatever their age.

However I turn up at one of those 'special' car events and I am not one of them. I get smiled at and then the owners all **** off into their gated area for special coffee and self bumming and usually any kids that come close, unless they have 10m followers on YouFace are shunned, not always, but often. THIS is the reality of why people buy these cars and for me that is sad, but also modern life. They are the modern emperors new clothes. All power to the boys and girls who can play the game, I just find them a little bit cynical and the people who buy them don't care and if it gives them a kick then fair play, their money, their spends.

Just a bit of shame that McLaren and others have started to turn into Apple with launch after launch of basically the same thing, over and over again and the headless chickens all dive in for a group hank.

Getting old me :D

Permabanned
It always depresses me that most of these end up never being driven properly... if/when I can get something like this... it's gonna be damn well used.

Something like this I'd love because I'd find my limit before the car's limit and learning to drive this thing would make me a better driver... even a sub-£30k Caterham is taking my skill level above most of the owners of one of these things :(

Maybe they should grow some balls and pay for tuition from an F1 driver... they can damn well afford it hahaha.

Man of Honour
OP
I know a F1 driver who does tuition, saw him a couple of weeks back at Donington. He's ace but not because he was in F1 in the 70's, because he has driven so many ace cars I just want to have a coffee and talk about them, which he is happy to do. Go drivers make it look easy, annoyingly.

Soldato
if you go above 30k for a Caterham it would be as fast as this (to 100mph) or even one of those Factory Fives with a BB Chevy..................as said, this car isn't for a ``get your hands dirty petrolhead``, i could never chat to an owner of this, i'd be jealous as hell !
it would also be very hard to own if you had the money , because others will give you the same looks as i do..... ``haters will hate`` :p

Man of Honour
OP
if you go above 30k for a Caterham it would be as fast as this (to 100mph) or even one of those Factory Fives with a BB Chevy..................as said, this car isn't for a ``get your hands dirty petrolhead``, i could never chat to an owner of this, i'd be jealous as hell !
it would also be very hard to own if you had the money , because others will give you the same looks as i do..... ``haters will hate`` :p

Not really. 620R is about as quick as a modern Caterham gets. Go look at the numbers for that 0-100 and then something like a McLaren 720, which this car will outpace, probably closer to P1 performance. The issue the Caterham has is putting the power down. I followed one at Donington a couple of weeks back, it's issue when track was cold was both front and rear grip and after 120mph my R8 was hauling it back in. Sure around a lap in the right conditions I would not see where it went, but suspect this would leave it for dead.

Permabanned

It's not so slow... faster than R500... just a bit behind 620R... like R550

270bhp.

Permabanned
Not really. 620R is about as quick as a modern Caterham gets. Go look at the numbers for that 0-100 and then something like a McLaren 720, which this car will outpace, probably closer to P1 performance. The issue the Caterham has is putting the power down. I followed one at Donington a couple of weeks back, it's issue when track was cold was both front and rear grip and after 120mph my R8 was hauling it back in. Sure around a lap in the right conditions I would not see where it went, but suspect this would leave it for dead.

Depends on the tack... as soon as anything with aero got in the position to use it... the aero car would win.

Around a track with shorter straights... there isn't much than can beat the Caterham... but this would be a competitor or winner for sure...

Next track car is going to be SR3 or SR8.

You use RMA or Goldtrack for Donington?

I tend to like RMA days... but GT are good too.

Soldato
Caterham do a v8 version too..........or did ! super rare and super expensive, they only made a few.
Caterham Levante..............550 hp

Back
Top Bottom