MCN London bike show

Soldato
Popped in to town today for the show. It was ok, given that there were no real new models on display, but just seemed a little small. Aprilia had just one bike there! Certainly well-attended though, although I do have a minor gripe about that - one in ten people seem to this they're the next YouTube star, and you can't move for someone walking into you while doing a running commentary to their phone or camera. Perhaps I'm getting old.

Anyway, some lovely bikes on display, and below is a selection of them. To my surprise, I rather liked the Ducati Scrambler - more comfortable seating position than the R Nine T, and quality of finish and parts seemed comparable. I'm going to book a test ride once the weather improves.

A special mention for the new Panigale V4 though. It does look fantastic, although the packaging of components looks a little overdone to try and keep the size where it is. And that seating position? Even if it was a bike I thought I'd like to own, at 6'1" I doubt I could ride it for very long - one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever sat on. I'd still love a test ride, but it would be a short one!

@Kreeeee - bear with me for the KTM 790 pics and a short video.

urh2XCp.jpg

7821FPR.jpg

AU5I3XR.jpg

M4ultqh.jpg

s1xDmut.jpg

ZFMFF4b.jpg

YcQDXSb.jpg

DXIebxs.jpg

W8FN3aa.jpg

hwEF2ct.jpg

unmi3Oo.jpg

LJ6WNUx.jpg

xKe6LQF.jpg

4E1cjRk.jpg

PBIoPXz.jpg

uB5gWYa.jpg

1mWOMBP.jpg

6qfPoXq.jpg

P2ZmPOq.jpg

UJGDOg2.jpg

Man of Honour
I really don’t get the fascination with street scramblers. Take an interesting and capable looking bike and put crap knobbly tyres on it. Great idea if you’re 52, have a fashionable beard, topknot and tattoo sleeves. For everyone else though...

Is that Brough as big as it looks?:eek:

Soldato
OP
I really don’t get the fascination with street scramblers. Take an interesting and capable looking bike and put crap knobbly tyres on it. Great idea if you’re 52, have a fashionable beard, topknot and tattoo sleeves. For everyone else though...

Is that Brough as big as it looks?:eek:

Agreed - I do prefer the road tyres. But I like the actual bikes themselves - they're very comfortable.

The Brough looks fantastic - it is big but probably not quite as big as it looks there. Certainly more presence than you'd think for the engine.

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to the report :)

It has a fairly comfortable riding position - I think I'm just on the limit at 6'1" and anyone shorter would probably feel better on it. I do think the component quality leaves something to be desired - plastics always feel a bit cheap to me but they're sturdy. The TFT display is nice but it is smaller and scaled down from the ones on the 1290 - I think they would have been better fitting the same size. If that sounds negative, it shouldn't be. Everything on the bike is in proportion to what the bike is. The headlight is smaller but it all just looks right. Definitely worth you getting a test ride just based on the looks and feel alone.

I don't think I can offer much more than that from a quick sit and observe of a static bike.

Man of Honour
It has a fairly comfortable riding position - I think I'm just on the limit at 6'1" and anyone shorter would probably feel better on it. I do think the component quality leaves something to be desired - plastics always feel a bit cheap to me but they're sturdy. The TFT display is nice but it is smaller and scaled down from the ones on the 1290 - I think they would have been better fitting the same size. If that sounds negative, it shouldn't be. Everything on the bike is in proportion to what the bike is. The headlight is smaller but it all just looks right. Definitely worth you getting a test ride just based on the looks and feel alone.

I don't think I can offer much more than that from a quick sit and observe of a static bike.

Thanks a lot. I may be buying a bike on Monday so I was looking to see if it was worth holding out for the 790 and potentially missing out on a bargain.

If everything feels a bit cheap then I imagine that will be the same with the brakes and suspension too.

Soldato
My dad has a Ducati scrambler icon, got road tires, and yes he is 50 something (56 I think?) Anyway, he thinks it's a great bike and he's had a few. I've sat on it but not ridden, feels soooooo light, because whatever weight it has is low down.

Man of Honour
My dad has a Ducati scrambler icon, got road tires, and yes he is 50 something (56 I think?) Anyway, he thinks it's a great bike and he's had a few. I've sat on it but not ridden, feels soooooo light, because whatever weight it has is low down.

They're light at 170kg.

Man of Honour

I would sell a kidney for one as long as it didn’t have Conti TKC 80s!

The new CCM range with the BMW/Husky 600 single look great too.

Back
Top Bottom