MD has offered to pay for any training I need or want. So what shall I do...?

Permabanned
So I've nothing directly official to say I'm an IT Wizard in this or that. I just happen have some knowledge. Was in the right place at the right time etc etc. He's offered to pay for any training I need or want.

Suggestions please, Thanks

Associate
What's your job? What are the main responsibilities? What skills do they need? Which of your skills are missing or out of date?

Then define your training needs.

Caporegime
I'd suggest that if you can't think of anything that would be useful then perhaps you shouldn't just spend company money for the sake of it.

If you want something that would be useful for yourself regardless then you might need to give a bit more information about what you actually do, what your background etc.. etc..

Soldato
Something you can take with you that's also relevant to the job you do, Microsoft certifications spring to mind. Having said that, I've known of people with a little knowledge going gung-ho and wrecking production server environments, with the best intentions, by group policy changes and inadvertent NAT bodges...

That or pole dancing lessons

Associate
Microsoft or Cisco would be what I would look at. What cert would depend on what direction you want to go in (i.e. server, networking, security etc.)

Associate
Think further and get a project management qualification. IT certifications can be interchanged with experience but management qualifications gives you a chance to progress if you decide to step away from being the do-er

Caporegime
I'd suggest that if you can't think of anything that would be useful then perhaps you shouldn't just spend company money for the sake of it.

If you want something that would be useful for yourself regardless then you might need to give a bit more information about what you actually do, what your background etc.. etc..

Only a fool would turn down free money. If a private enterprise is offering you free training why on this earth would you not take it?!

Caporegime
Only a fool would turn down free money. If a private enterprise is offering you free training why on this earth would you not take it?!

Because you've got some morals? I mean maybe you get an expense account too - it doesn't mean you need to try and blow the entire budget every year simply because there is some more money available.

I'd much rather argue for a pay rise or bonus than try to find some expensive training course and waste my time on that course when I could be doing something more productive. If anyone is a fool here it is the person wasting their time on something they didn't need or want in the first place simply because it is 'free' when instead you could be making yourself more productive, earning a bigger bonus and improving your career in the process.

Caporegime
Morals? Are you serious? He's not bankrupting a charity by blowing their cash, it's a private profit seeking business offering training, lets get some perspective, please. It's a perk offered as part of his employment package.

Caporegime
If you don't see why it isn't necessarily a sensible thing to spend time and company money on training simply because it is available then it is your perspective I'd question tbh...

Caporegime
Decide vaguely what trajectory you want your career to take and then do training that aligns with that, keeping it vaguely relevant to your day job so that you can put it into practise and your employer doesn't get suspicious.

Caporegime
If you don't see why it isn't necessarily a sensible thing to spend time and company money on training simply because it is available then it is your perspective I'd question tbh...

I don't think it's necessarily a sensible thing for the company, but for him as an individual, he would be foolish not to grab the opportunity. To suggest it is somehow immoral is absurd, unless spending the company money is going to make it insolvent and cost him his job he's not going to lose out by taking up the offer...

Caporegime
I don't think it's necessarily a sensible thing for the company, but for him as an individual, he would be foolish not to grab the opportunity. To suggest it is somehow immoral is absurd, unless spending the company money is going to make it insolvent and cost him his job he's not going to lose out by taking up the offer...

I've already pointed out where he can lose out by not taking up the offer. Maybe you've got a different experience of 'work' to me but IME I'm not interested in wasting my time for the sake of it because something is 'free'.

Caporegime
And it doesn't need to be taken for the sake of it.

Some companies offer massive discounts on work related books - it doesn't mean you should go out and buy as many work related books as possible regardless of whether you'd find them useful or not. Plenty of companies offer training or reimbursements for education - it doesn't mean that every year people are going to make sure they've signed up for evening classes at the local uni, a third part time masters degree or training courses for the sake of it.

It is better to use this stuff as and when needed or useful for your role/the company or for yourself not simply because they're there and are 'free' etc..

Back
Top Bottom