Mechanical keyboards?

Soldato
Okay so never used one daily but at work allot of colleagues do but I find the constant sound of clicking just annoying, however they keep getting advertised and raved about do they actual make a noticable difference besides noise?

Associate
I've never saw the point in them tbh, when I have tried them in the past I really don't see much difference and prefer my cheaper membrane keyboard.

I think if you have a half decent membrane keyboard there's little point , I'm using a corsair k30 which I paid about £30 a couple of years ago and it does me fine .I've used mechanical keyboards costing 5 times that and really can't see the £100+ difference , I'd rather save my money and put it towards something else for the pc.

Soldato
They feel very different to use. Most people find their switch of choice to be objectively better to use than any membrane keyboard. They also tend to be sturdier and can survive more abuse.

The sound of your colleagues keyboards is probably quite annoying cause yours doesn't make a noise. When you are making the noise it's not nearly as bothersome. It's like if you can constantly hear people walking about it would be annoying but have you ever been bothered by the sound of your own footsteps?

Also MX blues are the only switch that make a noise within the switch, all the others are only noisy due to the keycap bottoming out against the case.

Associate
I used a Logitech G15 for years and when i dropped a pint of cider on it one dark night I grabbed this K70 with MX browns.

All I can say is the keyboard just feels solid and and the clicking imo adds to the enjoyment of typing, something about the click and the solid thump is very pleasing compared to the squish of a membrane. Also it takes a good few weeks to get used to if your coming from a membrane keyboard.

If I was to drop a pint of cider on this I don't think I would get as an expensive keyboard but I would stick with mechanical, membrane feels like jelly now.......

Associate
I definitely feel a very noticeable difference with a decent mech keyboard, I've in particular been a fan of Cherry MX Brown switches for awhile now. If noise is a particular problem, the Cherry MX Silent as mentioned above are on a couple of keyboards now, and a friend of mine has one. Can definitely vouch for the fact that they're quieter than my keyboard with browns in them, which aren't too noisy in the first place anyway

Soldato
Hmm I recently bought one as my wireless logitech was playing up - not overly impressed to be honest. I make more typing mistakes and type slower than I did due to the longer stroke required. If I hadn't just paid a fair chunk of cash I'd go back to a normal keyboard.

Soldato
I use a Ducky Shine Zero ( Brown Switches ) and all I have to do is just tap the Keys and Hey Presto it works perfectly hardly need any pressure on the keys at all , I have never needed to press the keys all the way down .

Associate
I've had Blue, Brown and Red switches. Blue being the best to type on.

But as I'm more of a gamer, I've settled on Red. And have found every switch type better to type on over rubber dome.

Man of Honour
For typing I'm not too bothered - perfectly happy with a rubber dome, etc. for gaming though I find reds or blacks significantly better - especially blacks for FPS gaming.

Associate
I use a SteelSeries 7G, which has Cherry MX black switches and that isn't too loud. Though others in my office use significantly louder mechanical keyboards which can be a bit much when everyone is tapping away.

For typing, the feel of it doesn't make too much different, but when gaming, I find a mechanical makes a significant difference.

Back
Top Bottom