Media centre set up suggestions

Associate
Hi all,

Tomorrow I will be receiving everything I need to turn my gaming pc into a media centre (I don't really play games any more so want to put this hardware to good use).

The media centre will have a dual freeview tuner card, a blu ray drive and lots of storage as well as internet access. I will be installing windows 7 on the pc.

What software should I use for my media centre? Is the windows 7 media centre the best or should I look for something else?

I will be ripping my blu rays and dvds to the pc to play within the media centre and keeping my current blu ray player to run alongside the media centre (I understand that getting blu rays to play in media centre is a bit tricky!)

What other software should I look at? How can I take advantage of the internet on the media centre (ie iplayer and 4od etc).

Any other suggestions on setting up a media centre is appreciated!

Thanks

Soldato
MediaPortal is the easiest all-in-one solution if you want TV, IMO. There's an experimental build that includes BD playback also, which can be found here. There's also loads of plugins and I'd recommend using the StreamedMP skin, plus OnlineVideos for iPlayer/4oD/ITV Player/Demand 5 support.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I'll have a look at media portal. I'm not Looking for blu ray playback but to play ripped blu rays. I am keeping my stand alone blu ray player too

Associate
OP
Hi,

I have mediaportal and streamedmp. Does anyone know any good sites for modifying the software (backgrounds, menus etc)

Associate
been away so this is how I did it initially.

XBMC on windows 7 and used a plug in to also use media centre and swap between that and XBMC.

The reason for this being media centre was just easier for recording tv and it is notable you would need a 3rd party blu ray player to watch blu rays from media centre.

However for me I only ever watch ripped Blu rays in MKV format via XBMC and no longer use physical discs in fact my media PC has no moving parts, no fans or discs.

For me I have a very large media collection in avi, ISO and MKV formats and XBMC plays everything while also giving excellant library options with covers and stuff.

Soldato
MediaPortal + StreamedMP
I found XBMC good but the interface just to fidely.

Cant comment on blueray usage though.

Hi,

I have mediaportal and streamedmp. Does anyone know any good sites for modifying the software (backgrounds, menus etc)

Edit - just seen this :)
You can use the Streamed MP menu editor to set backgrounds etc, mine are just set to random Fanart as background. Some people have done some great pieces!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom