meeting question

Soldato
hi all

It's just a quick simple question regarding the mother in laws work place...

She's had a phone call this morning saying we need to see you today bring a union rep :confused:

she's had no letter about any meeting and has had no issues at work, My question is, Are they meant to give you so many days notice and write to you regarding meetings?

Im only asking as she's got really upset and my wife is a tad ****** off with the company so I want to get info from the more knowledgeable people on here regarding working rights stuff :)

Soldato
Exactly what I thought :confused:

I wouldn't of thought so, Shes had time off recently as she's had breast cancer and suffers with Limpthodimia (incorrect spelling) I cant imagine they'd pull her up on that for absence surely.

No. Terminating the contract of anyone that has been off ill recently long term is HRs worst nightmare.

If they were planning on, they'd likely follow it up with a settlement figure with a clause that she can't taken them to a tribunal etc.

I don't know the ins and outs of this area of HR, but from my prior experience we've had to write to people with enough notice (3 days rings a bell but that may be a company thing) prior to a disciplinary.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

They will still want to formally chat to her about the time off, especially if she's failed to communicate in the proper way.

A) she may well have informed them she'd be absent and done everything above board = they want to make sure (via a return to work) that she's got the support she needs
B) she text them to say she had a doctors appointment, then got signed off = they'll want to remind her that their process is to make contact via telephone (not text).

More than likely option A.

Soldato
OP
Redundancy wouldn't require any prior notice and may still involve a union rep. Has she been able to talk to any colleagues?
Andi.

yeah she has spoke to colleagues over the past few days of absence and rang managers to tell them about time off

They will still want to formally chat to her about the time off, especially if she's failed to communicate in the proper way.

A) she may well have informed them she'd be absent and done everything above board = they want to make sure (via a return to work) that she's got the support she needs
B) she text them to say she had a doctors appointment, then got signed off = they'll want to remind her that their process is to make contact via telephone (not text).

More than likely option A.

yeah option A is what she has done with all her time off... just seems very odd they ring her 3 hours before the meeting and say bring a Union rep...

Soldato
It is reasonable to ask what specifically the meeting is for and if unavailable for good reason agree a new day.

A very short notice request with no additional information is unusual. Just be sure to remove all emotion from around this including any decision making.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Also, don't worry about the union rep... it is common for businesses to suggest bringing a representative as an independent witness / backup. Just means that you have someone to dispute or challenge any formal notifications that arise from a meeting and stops them saying "we agreed xyz" without restrictions.

Caporegime
Presumably there is more to this story? If not then just calling someone in because they've been ill and suspending them out of the blue seems very dubious. Is she a union member and did she get to speak to a rep?

I'd perhaps be inclined to find an employment solicitor for at least an initial consultation.

Soldato
OP
No the reason for being suspended is because one of her clients has told the company that someone has stole over £1000 from a safe at the house, she works in care and visits houses daily and its the same clients over the week... The company have now got the police involved and need to get finger prints etc

Soldato
The circumstance explain the urgency and it sounds like the company are trying to do the right thing by your wife and the clients. Horrible situation to be in, hopefully it is resolved quickly. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom