Mens Running Shoes - Road to Mud

Associate
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on a good running shoe that works well on road and mud around a 5-8k distance.

I've been looking at some trail running shoes with mudclaws, but i'm not sure if i can run with them on the road / pavement?

The course i run starts of on road / pavement but then goes into a forest onto a mud path - when it rains the mud becomes soggy. its 50% road / pavement and 50% forest.

So ideally i'm looking for a shoe that can handle both and doesn't get affected by being wet (running through puddles).

Any recommendations welcomed.

Many thanks

Soldato
Best visiting a good running shop IMO. I could recommend a particular shoe but then you find it doesn't fit, let alone be comfortable and provide support or cushioning (if required) when running on tarmac.

Soldato
for on-road/off-road had gone from
asics trabucco
adidas super nova riot 5 431/3
mizuno waiv kein 3 43
- all been good

I need to track prices better - when do they typically sell off old models ?

37101178053_449f570891_o_d.jpg

Associate
OP
cool thanks guys

i've done a lot of research based on the feedback, now going to go and see these shoes in the shops and see what takes my fancy:

Mizuno wave
salomon XA pro 3D
NB leadville v3
NB 880v7 GTX

will let everyone know how the running goes with whichever one i choose.

Associate
OP
Picked up the Salomon XA pro 3D, they felt good - was concerned about the weight (400g) but was on a special deal (50% off) so got a real bargain.

Will test them out this weekend.

Soldato
so just a couple of months use/200m and the Mizunos both looked like this, in back of heal's, vendor is refunding
... how are the Salomon's standing up ?
I expect trainers to last 9months/1000m

24352449717_e094177d00_b_d.jpg

Caporegime
I’ve had many pairs of XA3s over the years which I use for everything from hiking to running to sport and they normally last a year or more, far longer than any other shoe I’ve used.

Soldato
My two favourites: Inov8 Roclite 305 or Asics Gel-Fujitrabuco
The Trabuco was what I had for many years (earlier pic) until they re-designed them about 4 years ago, and some of the reviews were not as good

I’ve had many pairs of XA3s over the years
Never tried Salomon, but ready to give them a go -
Scanning the Amazon reviews of XA3's main comments seem to be narrower width, fairly stiff midsole and maybe having to go a size up - so I'll end up having to get 3 sizes and send two back. (this sounds like female online shopping protocol)

Caporegime
so just a couple of months use/200m and the Mizunos both looked like this, in back of heal's, vendor is refunding
... how are the Salomon's standing up ?

You need to be replacing running shoes every 300-500 miles, 600 at a push. I have never ever had a running shoe that went more than 700 [edit typo, was 7000], and they are falling part at that point. Past 400-500 miels and I will only use them for short recovery runs or walking. Moreover, even if the shoe looks in OK shape the amount of protection provided will decline significantly by 300 miles. This is easily observed comparing a new shoe to one at 300 miles, there is a world of difference in comfort.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have never ever had a running shoe that went more than 7000

That was 1000miles life I expect, not 9000 ; I wish I was running 1000m a month :)

Finally went for some sale £60
Salomon Sense Marin Shoes
from Wiggle 9, 9.5 hopefully one will fit.

If anyone wants XA3pro ellis brightham have them for £50+delivery (buy by paypal for free returns) - but I decided to stick with the lighter Marins sub 300g

Caporegime
Yes, sorry for a typo. 1000 miles is completely unrealistic. Set your expectations at 400-500 and you will liekly find your shoes survive the expected lifetime better!

Associate
their weight 275g looks a lot better than the XA3's, just clocked them at 400g, and sub 300g is more what I am used too.

They are also a lot wider in the forefoot than many of the Salomon range which was a big plus for me. I haven't noticed the weight at all and I'm a big fan of lighter shoes (kinvara and Clayton 2 especially) and normally consider anything over 9oz as borderline heavy. My first run in them was 8 miles trail then 5 miles home on roads, I just loved them from the off.

Soldato
since it is snowing - auditioning new shoes, in various sizes, from sportsshoes.com

both the Salomon Marin, Asics Trabucco, and previous trabuccos/mizuno/supernova trail shoes all have front protection shield that falls just short of end of big toe nail, which always seems stupid, creating an unnecessary weakness - is it just me ?

... was trying to avoid painful impacted toe nails, I had seen before on an agressive running descent, and I am sure this design (flaw) contributed
(nails already well manicured)

39107314364_9d918b6562_o_d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom