Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
New car time.

2012 C63 AMG coupe 125 Edition.

38k miles, 1 owner, FMBH

rt3t99.jpg

Caporegime
Anyone with a recent version of COMAND online know how to store a trip with intermediate destinations / waypoints in the car's navigation please?

I can only see how to store previous single destinations rather than entire routes.

Have tried sending routes from Google maps via Mercedes Me, but it just sends it as a single destination rather than a proper trip with working waypoints that can be adjusted etc.

Even creating the route in the car didn't seem to allow storage of the route, so if I navigate somewhere else is have to re-enter the entire route manually in the car again.

Apparently one can convert a Google maps route into a .gpx file and store that for on an SD card so that the car can read it, but I'm hoping there's an easier way, as that involves installing custom programs.

Thanks.

Caporegime
Tried it this morning on the E Class im borrowing and I can't figure it out either @Participant
Found this website this morning and have a .gpx file (created by pasting the sharing link of the directions in Google Maps into that website) in a 'Routes' folder on an SD card. Going to try it out now.

Even if it works, it's still a joke that you can't save routes in the car directly. I've trawled the extensive navigation section of the owners' manual and there's no mention of routes.

2018 E-Class by the way.

Caporegime
Findings: 'Routes' option is viewable at the bottom of 'Previous Destinations' in car navigation. Routes folder in car appears to contain no files as routes menu shows no results. Assume something about the file makes it invisible / unusable by NTG5.5.

Conclusion: seek alternative method for .gpx creation.

Caporegime
Update: the above method definitely didn't work, as it seems that site is designed for TomToms etc., but someone's written a program that converts Google MyMaps (not Google Maps) routes into a Mercedes COMAND-friendly .gpx file.

Link to the program is here: http://www.freepoc.org/download/Routes109.zip. You basically copy the program to an SD card and run the batch file, which allows you to convert the .KML outputted by GoogleMyMaps to a .GPX file that the COMAND navigation will (should) recognise.

It seems to be working based on the car's response to the file on the SD card, though not yet tested in earnest on my vehicle. You get the choice of whether to start from the start of the route or the vehicle's current location, which is important.

Again, a joke that all this tomfoolery is required, but it's simple enough once you've done it a couple of times. The main limitation is that complex routes (with lots of 'track points') will (might) require the creation of multiple files, instead of a single file to cover the entire journey. All this means in practice is that at some point in the journey, you'll have to select the next route file.

The limit (imposed by COMAND, presumably due to processing limitations) is 10,000 'track points'. I think a track point is any point at which the car could possibly take a different route...? I've obeyed the program's limit for the moment and tomorrow will try ignoring it and creating a single file, to see if the 2018 COMAND system has started ignoring the 10k limit (unlikely).

Taggging @Scrutinize. For anyone finding this by Google, my car is a MY18 S213 (E-Class estate).

PS: if the guy that wrote this program ([email protected]) ever sees this post, a big thank you......!

Soldato
Finally some proper pictures for you all!

My C63 AMG 125 Edition 2012 model with following spec;

- Standard 6.2L 457PS V8 engine
- Standard Open differential
- AMG 125 edition Carbon Fiber mirrors, boot lip & interior
- AMG 125 Edition Black Door/roof trims
- AMG 19" Multispoke in matte graphite
- Harman Kardon Surround Sound
- Privacy Glass
- Reversing camera, front/rear sensors
- Panoramic roof
- Command Nav
- Space saver spare wheel

Bought with 38500 miles in June with 1 owner, now sits on 42500! Averages 20.5MPG, best was 25MPG, worst 15MPG :cool:.

Done plenty of miles in it, spend a week in St Ives earlier this summer so had her out on a good few long hauls and trips to London too. The weather has been perfect for it.

The sound is absolutely epic and far tamer to drive than most would let you believe. Engine feels like it wants to rev forever.

Totally smitten with this car and glad I can finally share it on the ocuk forum in it's glory.

Any questions fire away!

42572321520_56efc2eb70_b.jpg

30513316798_b60674dd58_b.jpg

42572325700_dc0a67b794_b.jpg

29444520967_6738918ffc_b.jpg

42572325110_4f2a3c45dd_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m having issues with my gearbox changing gears in manual mode. If I give it some beans (50-75%) in 3rd and change to 4th at around 3k rpm it’ll stay in 3rd up to the redline and shift to 4th when I lift off and the revs have dropped. Automatic mode is fine from what I can tell.

The fluid is due a change at the next service but I don’t know if that would cause this problem. Is there any way to check my TCU version? Maybe there’s an update available that Merc will scalp me for. Any other ideas what could cause it?

Engine is a M278, gearbox is the 722.9.

Man of Honour
I’m having issues with my gearbox changing gears in manual mode. If I give it some beans (50-75%) in 3rd and change to 4th at around 3k rpm it’ll stay in 3rd up to the redline and shift to 4th when I lift off and the revs have dropped. Automatic mode is fine from what I can tell.

The fluid is due a change at the next service but I don’t know if that would cause this problem. Is there any way to check my TCU version? Maybe there’s an update available that Merc will scalp me for. Any other ideas what could cause it?

Engine is a M278, gearbox is the 722.9.

I don’t see why the fluid would cause that. Certainly not how mine shifts though.

Soldato
I'm starting to look around for a replacement for our F55 Mini Cooper S. I'm drawn to Merc at the moment so I've been looking at the W176 A45 and C43 (it's a second car so the choice is flexible).

I found out recently that the new 306BHP W177 A35 was due to be unveiled at the Paris motor show next month, but they've released most of the details early and it does look like a very attractive option. It's not the full-fat A45 but there's no way I'm spending £45k+ on a car, although I suspect the A35 will be £38k'ish once you've added the "essentials":

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mercedes-amg-a35-revealed-302bhp

wgQljfa.jpg

oLkTPLF.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the new a35 AMG looks great for a hatch and will be really appealing. Difficult to ignore a second hand well specced low mileage golf r though when performance will be similar. You could even upgrade the brakes on the r with change. It's probably a regulation thing, but I'm surprised they didn't make it 320 ish bhp just to be above the r and in particular when the full fat version is supposedly 400bhp.

Soldato
I think the new a35 AMG looks great for a hatch and will be really appealing. Difficult to ignore a second hand well specced low mileage golf r though when performance will be similar. You could even upgrade the brakes on the r with change.

I agree, although I test drove a Golf R in 2016 and within 10 minutes I wanted to turn around and head back to the dealership :( I can't really describe why since on paper it ticked every single checkbox for me, but I didn't gel with it at all.

Man of Honour
The A35 looks like some good bang for your buck. Fun performance, reasonable price tag. Not quite as crazy as some other AMGs, but a good entry point. Don't think my next car will be an AMG though.

Soldato
I agree, although I test drove a Golf R in 2016 and within 10 minutes I wanted to turn around and head back to the dealership :( I can't really describe why since on paper it ticked every single checkbox for me, but I didn't gel with it at all.

It's nothing new, people 10 years ago were saying the same thing about evos - they're too easy to drive quickly regardless of conditions and can become slightly boring. The golf r is beyond that with dsg and a lot more refinement. This new a35 will step things up even more no doubt. Depends what you want from a car. My s2000 is the complete opposite yet can be equally as boring/tiresome to drive.

Soldato
It's nothing new, people 10 years ago were saying the same thing about evos - they're too easy to drive quickly regardless of conditions and can become slightly boring. The golf r is beyond that with dsg and a lot more refinement. This new a35 will step things up even more no doubt. Depends what you want from a car. My s2000 is the complete opposite yet can be equally as boring/tiresome to drive.

I think it was the interior for me. The steering wheel felt very thin for a sporty model, and the whole package just didn't feel like a £30k car. I think my perception was somewhat skewed by the fact that Audi had lent me a brand new B9 A4 for 5 weeks which had a class-leading interior at the time, so the Golf felt like a big step down for similar money.

The new A-class ticks the performance and quality boxes, but the price is going to be nasty. A 12 month old C43 costs about the same!

Man of Honour
I am coming....coming to the club.

Will I get bummed?

Not only do I have a Mer See Deeees incoming.....

...I have an AMG one, their super high performance 220d one, so I am now part of you all.

Love me like one of you own.

Full Taxi spec E Class

Soldato
I think it was the interior for me. The steering wheel felt very thin for a sporty model, and the whole package just didn't feel like a £30k car. I think my perception was somewhat skewed by the fact that Audi had lent me a brand new B9 A4 for 5 weeks which had a class-leading interior at the time, so the Golf felt like a big step down for similar money.

The new A-class ticks the performance and quality boxes, but the price is going to be nasty. A 12 month old C43 costs about the same!

Is the new A class on latest 18 plate the new platform or the latest refresh/facelift on the old/current platform? There's one parked literally down the road from my house and it looks great even though it's a lower diesel model. They've got the proportions and styling just right for the size and shape. I swear I didn't like the original a45 AMG as it just looked somehow slightly wrong, mainly at the front end and rear side profile.

Soldato
Is the new A class on latest 18 plate the new platform or the latest refresh/facelift on the old/current platform? There's one parked literally down the road from my house and it looks great even though it's a lower diesel model. They've got the proportions and styling just right for the size and shape. I swear I didn't like the original a45 AMG as it just looked somehow slightly wrong, mainly at the front end and rear side profile.

It's a brand new platform. The interior is much more S-class than Vito now :p

Back
Top Bottom