Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Caporegime
255/35/18 is half an inch smaller in diameter than 235/40/18, that would suggest once of your sets of tires are the wrong size unless there's a genuine reason to run smaller tyres on the back. Consult your manual etc.

That is surprisingly what Merc fit when new. The rims at the rear are 8.5J vs 8 at the front.

Man of Honour
So I’ve lost the SD car in my arm rest that powers the Media System and Sat Nav. I must have flicked out and it’s gone. Need to scan my driveway as likely to be there as not in the car.

Can anyone provide a source to replace it or some guidance on price? AMG GTR 2018. Are they coded to the vehicle?

dod

dod

Soldato
Had a test drive in a CLA45 wagon today, seems very nice. Anyone got anything to watch for specifically?
2018 model with only 22000 miles

Soldato
Taking my C43 to Star Motors in Reading, I've heard they're a decent independent and as my car has already been serviced outside of MB I don't see any value in taking it back there. It had an oil change from the garage I brought it from in June, so technically not due another until then but figured it would be good to have it serviced by someone who's familiar with the model.

Soldato
Old 2011 Audi A4 TFSI went kaput on the weekend so picked up a new GLC this week to replace it. Given the crazy market, it was about the cheapest car that we could buy that is in stock ... including going to Honda! It's a fairly bog standard GLC300 4MATIC in white, so nothing to post home about, but good to be back in a MB again (we had a W205 C-class estate in the UK).

Crazy market at the moment, Audi/Honda were both looking for >50% over sticker price to get a car that is in stock today. MB honoured the sticker price for the GLC as there is plenty of stock, but C-classes were going for ~$15k over MSRP if you wanted one now rather than waiting for order and delivery. Ideally we wanted a Tesla Model Y for the dual commute/family capability, but it was going to be a 6 month wait and an A4 looking at a $5k+ repair bill.

Man of Honour
Taking my C43 to Star Motors in Reading, I've heard they're a decent independent and as my car has already been serviced outside of MB I don't see any value in taking it back there. It had an oil change from the garage I brought it from in June, so technically not due another until then but figured it would be good to have it serviced by someone who's familiar with the model.

They are quality. Used them many many years ago when my SLK55 needed an oil gasket change. They collected and returned it to my workplace, liaised with reception and left the invoice in the car with the car in tip top shape on return. I was very impressed.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Good garage that, ive banded their name around a few times on here - wish i had similar for BMW and Porsche. Makes running any Mercedes a non issue.

Man of Honour
MB honoured the sticker price for the GLC as there is plenty of stock, but C-classes were going for ~$15k over MSRP if you wanted one now rather than waiting for order and delivery.

This is likely because the C Class is now an all new model and the GLC is on runout as it ends production soon if not already. You've doubtless noticed how similar it is inside to your previous W205 so probably knew that, but I'd imagine that's why they are easier to get.

Associate
Well I have officially moved from the BMW Owners thread to this one now. My old E46 325i auto is no more. After about 3 weeks of stressing about a replacement and disillusionment over finding an E46 with less rust than mine, I took the 'easy' way out and got the below 2011 E350 CDI.

It seemed very difficult to find a petrol model with my constraint: too lazy to go more than 10-15 miles to buy a car. So when this popped up with 1 owner and ~68k on it and the cleanest MOT history I'd seen in a while (I'd been looking at E90s and E63s etc) I went and had a go. And then I bought it.

20220126-122948.jpg

For my purpose, long journeys when it's too rubbish weather for the motorcycle or I need more luggage space, it's a treat so far. Only small flies being the up/down on the steering wheel adjustment seems broken/failed (isn't responding to the hitting it method prescribed online). Oh and some intermittent rattle from one of the aircon vents. Once I've worked out what the equivalent of the workshop manual is for Mercedes cars I'll possibly attempt to remedy the first issue.

Soldato
Well I have officially moved from the BMW Owners thread to this one now. My old E46 325i auto is no more. After about 3 weeks of stressing about a replacement and disillusionment over finding an E46 with less rust than mine, I took the 'easy' way out and got the below 2011 E350 CDI.

It seemed very difficult to find a petrol model with my constraint: too lazy to go more than 10-15 miles to buy a car. So when this popped up with 1 owner and ~68k on it and the cleanest MOT history I'd seen in a while (I'd been looking at E90s and E63s etc) I went and had a go. And then I bought it.

20220126-122948.jpg

For my purpose, long journeys when it's too rubbish weather for the motorcycle or I need more luggage space, it's a treat so far. Only small flies being the up/down on the steering wheel adjustment seems broken/failed (isn't responding to the hitting it method prescribed online). Oh and some intermittent rattle from one of the aircon vents. Once I've worked out what the equivalent of the workshop manual is for Mercedes cars I'll possibly attempt to remedy the first issue.

How loud is the rattle ?

Apparently the bearing are prone to rattle on the Heater Blower Fan. My 2009 E350CDI does it. When the fan is set to 2,3,4 setting. Looking for a replacement asap.

Associate
Loudness: enough to be annoying.

It has only happened on a cold morning for the first 10 to 15 minutes maybe. At all fan and setting faffery. So intermittent so far. Maybe temperature related, or it dislikes getting up early.

I'll have to google some more and on the bearing word. Difficult to get to? Link me up if you have any diy info please :).

Good news is beating the heck out of the steering wheel at least got the height thing working so that's one thing to ignore (convenience thing turned off as I possess appropriately sized legs) for now.

Man of Honour
too lazy to go more than 10-15 miles to buy a car

I don't think I'll ever understand views like this. You must surely realise how much it affects your ability to find the right car. I totally get why you wouldn't drive hundreds of miles to view used cars that may turn out to be bad examples but no more than 15 miles?! Some people go that far for lunch!

Soldato
I don't think I'll ever understand views like this. You must surely realise how much it affects your ability to find the right car. I totally get why you wouldn't drive hundreds of miles to view used cars that may turn out to be bad examples but no more than 15 miles?! Some people go that far for lunch!
Depends how much you like/are into cars.
Some people are happy going to the local car dealer down the road (walking distance) and buying the first blue car they like the look of.

Back
Top Bottom