Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
So having an interesting time with my local main dealer. Our V Class handbrake decided to throw a wobbly and lock up, red warning on the dash etc. It said to look in the manual for a manual override procedure. I followed that, released it and thought that was the end of it. Unfortunately next time I stopped the car it locked up again and wouldn't release. Had it recovered to my own mechanic who diagnosed the actuator as being faulty. He can't code a new one to the car, so off to the main dealer it went. After a week of waiting for them to look at the car, they phone me up and say that it is indeed the actuator that's dead. But, the rear discs and pads are 'overheated' and so need to be replaced - total price for the whole job, £1700. I asked if they'd just do the actuator and leave the discs and pads and they refused point blank - it's either do the whole job, or nothing. Given I need the car fixed ASAP I had little choice but to give them the nod. But, I know the discs and pads are fine - my mechanic had already had the car and checked them over prior to it being sent to the main dealer. So I know I'm being torn a new one, and I'm not best pleased about it. I've asked for the old discs and pads to be left in the car, it'll be interesting to see what condition they're in, or if they'll 'go missing'. Place your bets!

Associate
Shhhh remap? Me? Never….

If I did though, which of course I never would, then close to 600bhp and an extra 100lbs/ft of torque would have absolutely transformed the car.

And I imagine, it would have definitely added a lot more lovely noises off throttle above 3k RPM without having to add any of the pops and bangs you normally get on a remap.
Blame those recommended videos on YouTube :cry: I'm tempted to have a chat with them myself about some options, I've always felt it's a bit quiet due to the changes and it seems silent next to something like Houseys asbo. It's a double edged sword as I want it to be silent when in a built up area but a bit louder at other times. The extra power would be fun too :D

Soldato
Blame those recommended videos on YouTube :cry: I'm tempted to have a chat with them myself about some options, I've always felt it's a bit quiet due to the changes and it seems silent next to something like Houseys asbo. It's a double edged sword as I want it to be silent when in a built up area but a bit louder at other times. The extra power would be fun too :D

A remap and a couple of new down pipes should sort that out. Do you have a valve in your exhaust, so you can run relatively quiet?

Man of Honour
@Homer-Simpson, ASR Module is a must for the W205 imo. It's a 30 second install, basically plugs in to the boot in between the cables for the valve control, and it has 3 modes via a remote. 1, valves always open which makes the car noticeably louder. 2, valves always closed if you need the car to be quiet, then 3, factory behaviour.

I love it, only ever use it in valves always open mode and it made a big difference. People would notice the difference as soon as they saw the car.

Associate
@Homer-Simpson, ASR Module is a must for the W205 imo. It's a 30 second install, basically plugs in to the boot in between the cables for the valve control, and it has 3 modes via a remote. 1, valves always open which makes the car noticeably louder. 2, valves always closed if you need the car to be quiet, then 3, factory behaviour.

I love it, only ever use it in valves always open mode and it made a big difference. People would notice the difference as soon as they saw the car.

Thanks for the feedback, I had considered one early on but people on other forums had suggested they didn't notice a difference. I think I'll get one ordered and see how I get on :)

In other news, my car was dropped off at 8am on Thursday to resolve the outstanding issues. Got a "health check" video at lunch time with a message saying I will get a call back to discuss next steps which I thought was odd. Didn't hear anything until lunch time today asking me how to start the car. Turns out nothing had been done, and around 1:30 they drove it to another dealership who will be resolving the issues. Noticed a geofence alert after the call and was greeted with:

MsNpmtB.png

Hoping they noticed the average speed cameras on the way and the camera van from the morning had moved on :o

Soldato
Hi AMG/Mercedes experts.

I'm looking at purchasing my first Mercedes later on in the year but doing some research first.

I'm looking at an A35 AMG Premium Plus +/- Aero Kit.
If anyone has any experience of these just a few questions really.

What should I look out for when purchasing? niggles etc
Is the engine strong enough for future modifications should I desire?
Running costs. i.e servicing etc. I'm looking at adding a service plan anyway.
Extended warranty. is this worth it.
also what is the best dash cam to instal

Soldato
Hi AMG/Mercedes experts.

I'm looking at purchasing my first Mercedes later on in the year but doing some research first.

I'm looking at an A35 AMG Premium Plus +/- Aero Kit.
If anyone has any experience of these just a few questions really.

What should I look out for when purchasing? niggles etc
Is the engine strong enough for future modifications should I desire?
Running costs. i.e servicing etc. I'm looking at adding a service plan anyway.
Extended warranty. is this worth it.
also what is the best dash cam to instal

Extended warranty, with Mercedes, is worth doing if you’re buying an approved used car and you can’t afford the repair bill of something going wrong.

For me, a warranty is a known cost. I’d rather have known costs rather than unknown ones.

If you do modify the car though, it’s unlikely the warranty will be valid.

IMO buy the car you want to drive rather than buy one with the intention of modding it to make it better :)

Soldato
Extended warranty, with Mercedes, is worth doing if you’re buying an approved used car and you can’t afford the repair bill of something going wrong.

For me, a warranty is a known cost. I’d rather have known costs rather than unknown ones.

If you do modify the car though, it’s unlikely the warranty will be valid.

IMO buy the car you want to drive rather than buy one with the intention of modding it to make it better :)
thanks for the advice Mr Rock.

Yes I agree. Modification wise would only be an intake system but again this is a luxury and not a necessity. 300bhp is ample for me. Coming from a Cooper D :cry:

Warranty wise what is the rough costs for these?
I haven't even driven a Mercedes yet but just know I want one :)

Soldato

Couldn’t tell you, but it’s usually cheaper to renew rather than the first time purchase.

BMW and Audi include a year in the sale of an approved used - can’t see why merc would be any different.

You might be able to get a feel for price by looking online on the merc extended warranty webpage if they have one, and entering the reg of a used car :)

Soldato
thanks for the advice Mr Rock.

Yes I agree. Modification wise would only be an intake system but again this is a luxury and not a necessity. 300bhp is ample for me. Coming from a Cooper D :cry:

When was the last time you modified? Almost all modern cars have pretty well designed induction already, so really nothing to change unless you have deep pockets.

Back
Top Bottom