Metal Music Absolutely..........SUCKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Progressive hard rock or something like that. It depends which tool you're talking about really, their sound has evolved quite a lot from Undertow to now.

Yeah I guess. When I think of Tool I always think of AEnima, and I think you could argue it's metal. But obviously Opiate and Undertow even more so. I'm not really too hung up on genres though - I'd happily call them hard rock.

Soldato
Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Common elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture. The word derives from Greek ??????? (mousike; "art of the Muses").[1]
The creation, performance, significance, and even the definition of music vary according to culture and social context. Music ranges from strictly organized compositions (and their recreation in performance), through improvisational music to aleatoric forms. Music can be divided into genres and subgenres, although the dividing lines and relationships between music genres are often subtle, sometimes open to individual interpretation, and occasionally controversial.
/Wiki

So, these

Are music, and so more accessible music such as Slipknot, KSE any other metal band are inescapably music as well. Justin Bieber = music. Sad but true.

A piece of music doesn't need to include every facet of it's definition to be music, just as you don't need to use every letter of the alphabet to write a word or speak a sentence. A lot of ambient music has no rhythm. A lot of extreme metal has no melody. Noise bands have neither, but create textures and provoke certain mental imagery and feelings through sound. Death metal vocals are more to do with rhythm, percussive effect and fitting the music than conveying the lyrics coherently. Shred guitar, when done well at least, is about creating sheets of sound with scales and modes that convey a certain flavour, rather than the individual notes themselves. Etc etc etc etc.

Not to everyone person's taste, obviously, but still it's still music, just music you don't like (at that point in time - I used to be a 'it's just noise' guy myself).

Caporegime
I tried to listen to Sunn O))) once, it's not a mistake I will make again. I like to think I have a pretty open minded taste in music but I just can't understand stuff like that.

Soldato
I tried to listen to Sunn O))) once, it's not a mistake I will make again. I like to think I have a pretty open minded taste in music but I just can't understand stuff like that.

It takes a certain mood. I need darkness, to have read or watched something creepy beforehand, enough volume to feel the bass rather than just hear it.

Live, they must be the only band ever to have an audience who walk about looking for the room nodes where the bass is at it's most disgustingly head-shaking.

Man of Honour
I don't mind the occasional bit of screaming but when it's for the whole sound it ruins it imo, especially when it's high pitch screaming like BMTH. I don't mind bands like Slipknot and Metallica though.

Associate
great thread, it started with some troll complaining about metal but it turned into people just posting lots of pretty awesome metal songs. blut aus nord are particularly good.

sometimes it doesn't matter if you can't understand the words. take opera for example, can you understand what the singers are saying without the program? probably not. But its still worth listening to. opera like metal is highly stylised and sometimes a bit abstract, if you don't have the intelligence to comprehend these modes of thought then I pity you..

Soldato
What a stupid thread and what a pathetic opening post, Metal has been around a long time these bands are multi-millionaires so I guess they are doing something right.

/thread

Caporegime
I'm a bit picky about my screaming/harsh vocals. I love unusual harsh vocals like In Flames or Deftones or when it's mixed with clean vocals like Opeth or 36 Crazyfists.

Soldato
I'm a bit picky about my screaming/harsh vocals. I love unusual harsh vocals like In Flames or Deftones or when it's mixed with clean vocals like Opeth or 36 Crazyfists.

A bit OT, but have you heard of Ghost of a Thousand and The Bronx? Two of my favourite 'screamy' bands. I'm a bit like you in that the rest of the song needs to be pretty melodic for me to like harsher vocals.

Caporegime
A bit OT, but have you heard of Ghost of a Thousand and The Bronx? Two of my favourite 'screamy' bands. I'm a bit like you in that the rest of the song needs to be pretty melodic for me to like harsher vocals.

That would be an example of the kind of screaming I don't like :p I don't mind The Bronx too much in short doses (love Heart Attack American) but I can't stand Ghost of a Thousand.

Yet I really like this:

Go figure :p

Associate
? where's the connection?

There is no connection :eek:

Not a great fan of the screeching death metal bands but wait and bleed is slipknots finest IMHO

But my fav of all time has to be the great Metallica's One
got me into rock years ago ... very deep..
for me with a son fighting in afgan the lyrics are very ... deep

EDIT : anyone who doesnt think this rocks needs there bumps feelin

Caporegime
Melodic metal sung in English by Finns for Euro teen fags that speak pigeon English.

This is possibly the ****test music ive heard in a long time. Got subjected to it for a few hours recently and was struggling to keep a straight face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom