Metronome - which to get?

Soldato
I want to get a metronome for practice (piano), a dedicated one as opposed to an app. They don't seem to be expensive but which one should I get?

Old school mechanical with no battery needed or digital one?

You really need both. See if you can find an antique one in restored and working condition + a digital one.

Associate
Hi. Don't go analogue just use a phone. You'll need more than one metronome to get everything done. The ones to cover everything are:

7Metronome.. Hard to find this one now.
Metronomerous
TimeGuru

I teach Jazz guitar and I make sure all my students have these 3.

Associate
Wow. Guess we shouldnt get gaming pcs and consoles when a stick and ball would suffice.

You don't solely want to work with a metronome and you need to internalise the pulse of music but an easy way to do that is to use modern technology to facilitate that.

An example of that is that TimeGuru allows you to skips beats sounding so when you hear the metronome you instantly know whether you've kept tempo. Keeping tempo is an essential skill for any musician using an analogue metronome will not offer this type of option and is therefore very inferior.

Associate
Maybe you could link where the OP could get one so they have the option of exploring it.

Then they can make an informed choice about what does what so they can find something that ticks their boxes.

a lot will depend on what actual instrument the OP plays its volume may well narrow down the options.

Associate
Can't you link it from PMT or somewhere like that?

I fail to see why it's not worth the OP downloading Metronomerous which is free and seeing if it suits purpose first before spending money unnecessarily.

Analogues are for aesthetic reasons only they aren't going to help.

Commissario
I thought there was a general ban on Rainforest and other competitor links, due to all the other stuff they advertise?
No, and there never has been. If you're talking about a product that OcUK don't sell then you can link to whoever you want. So metronomes, beard trimmers, kettles, CDs, etc are perfectly fine to link to and mention Amazon. If you start talking about monitors, PC components, etc then you can't link to them.

Amazon isn't banned and never has been when discussing non OcUK core products. Feel free to link to a metronome there, no problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom