Poll: Miami Grand Prix 2022, Miami - Race 5

Rate the 2022 Miami Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I dont get it, how did this car even make it to the production line.

Surely when it was designed this flaw was apparent, it must have been porpoising during trials.

Another thing is I know spending caps are a thing but they can go over with penalties, would it not be better just to scrap the desing, accept the penalties and just go with another?

Surely there is an alternative they have been working on off grid?

This has turned Mercedies from the best in the business to a laughing stock.
I agree, it's shocking it makes you think that internally there is a lot meeting engineering going on and not enough reality.

Soldato
I dont get it, how did this car even make it to the production line.

Surely when it was designed this flaw was apparent, it must have been porpoising during trials.
Wind tunnel speeds are limited to 180kph (~110mph) and porpoising only occurs at higher speeds, so wind tunnel testing couldn't pick it up. Obviously any CFD modelling they did didn't either.

Obviously Mercedes (and some others) didn't anticipate porpoising, or certainly underestimated it. Newey worked in CART in the 80s when he would have experienced the symptoms of ground effect. McLaren still have some staff working on their museum cars who worked on ground effect cars in the 1980s (when porpoising was a factor) so perhaps they had some additional warning too. Ferrari seem to suffer nearly as bad porpoising as Mercedes on certain tracks, but clearly with fewer ill effects.

Mercedes will get it right, and when they do they might well have a rocketship on their hands. If they truly believe that is the case (as they claim publicly) then it makes sense to persevere with this concept and try to get a better handle on it.

Man of Honour
This has turned Mercedies from the best in the business to a laughing stock.
I would only say that Mercedes would be considered a "laughing stock" by casual observers who don't really understand F1 (or vehicle design in general)

Teams going from championship winning outfits to back of the pack is not a new thing, and has happened throughout the history of the sport.
Think of poor old Jody Scheckter who (along with Villeneuve) trounced all comers in '79 only to score 2 points the next year in what was effectively the same car - which was part of the problem.

McLaren, Benetton, Brawn/Mercedes, Lotus, Williams - plenty of teams off the top of my head have suddenly turned out a pig off the back of a success streak, or built a below standard car even after spending untold amounts on development.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There’s no guarantees that what they design to replace it will be better … or what they designed originally wouldn’t make sense.

I personally think they’ve doubled down on a concept they’re struggling to understand, came to Miami with ideas to fix it which didn’t work and now they’re sat scratching their heads wondering how to fix it. Again.

Soldato
My mate at the track says it's just started raining :o
It’s pretty common in that part of the world for the clouds to form in the morning, have a huge downpour in the afternoon and then be dry for the rest of the day.

So if it’s raining now it will probably have stopped and dried out by the time the race starts… I guess it means the track will be green though.

Soldato
It’s pretty common in that part of the world for the clouds to form in the morning, have a huge downpour in the afternoon and then be dry for the rest of the day.

So if it’s raining now it will probably have stopped and dried out by the time the race starts… I guess it means the track will be green though.
Yeah, the temperature is crazy warm so any rain now won't have an effect at all. A few random showers through the race would be fun though!

Associate
Wind tunnel speeds are limited to 180kph (~110mph) and porpoising only occurs at higher speeds, so wind tunnel testing couldn't pick it up. Obviously any CFD modelling they did didn't either.
Surely they don't rely on wind tunnels for the testing, there must be track testing. You can't get a feel for cornering, braking etc in a wind tunnel

Man of Honour
Surely they don't rely on wind tunnels for the testing, there must be track testing. You can't get a feel for cornering, braking etc in a wind tunnel
You get (if I remember rightly) about 20 laps running to make sure it doesn't fall to bits at the first corner, and that's it.
After that, you're into formal pre season testing, and by that time if the car is a mutt you're unlikely to be able to completely rectify that.

Completely different to how things were in the old days.

Associate
Actually I was cynical about the miami gp but now I think it's a breath of fresh air, makes a lot of the European events look dull as dishwater
I think it’s just a different level of effort. They’re trying to get the US market so part of it is a wine and dine. I’d love to see more effort made in other countries.

Only thing I would change for Miami is banning Jame Cordon and DJ Kaled. Useless individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom