Michel Platini arrested over 2022 Qatar World Cup Bid

Soldato
Got to take the world cup away from Qatar now. It's a stupid place to have it anyway.

And I hope Platini goes to prison..

UEFA is in charge of the World Cup ultimately, they're a private organisation so can essentially do what they want. Sure you can arrest a few people but you can't force them to move the event.

Soldato
It’s the decent thing to do when a country has bribed their way to winning.

I would imagine that being a decent person would almost preclude you from getting to the top of an organisation like UEFA, so I wouldn't expect them to do that. Places like UEFA are run for the people who work there to enrich themselves while doing as little actual work as possible, they have no oversight and loads of multinationals and governments queuing up to line their pockets. What we're seeing with Qatar will be the tip of the ice berg, we'll probably never find out the extent of corruption.

Caporegime
It'd be a real shame if Iran lobbed a missile at a stadium by accident wouldn't it. Who the **** is going to a hot, sandy potential warzone?

Caporegime
Maybe if all the countries boycott the WC in Qatar then UEFA/FIFA would do something about it ie take it away from Qatar. Should be taken away due to the bribing.

The country is amazing, spent a lot of time out there and have nothing but love for the Qatari’s. But in no way should they be hosting the WC.

Caporegime
Good, probably a few more that ought to be arrested too.

Wherever it goes, corruption will follow I'd have thought.

I guess that is partly dependent on the system used to choose the host nations and/or whatever checks and balances are put into place.

Caporegime
If the world cup was pulled from Qatar. It would be a terrible waste of resources. But saying that it should never go to any nation that isn't capable of holding it at a high standard.

How are their security forces going to handle such an event?

Do they have sufficient plans in place for having the supplies required in place before the event starts?

Again the heat issue is such that all games will need to be played late in the evening after the sun has gone down. Which means crap atmospheres.

Also who is going to pay all that money to go watch it in Qatar? It doesn't have the footballing history behind it or any history other than oil.

What are they going to do with the stadiums afterwards? Aren't they building them all from scratch with no plan for the future? I mean there is no way they as a country will make any money from this or be able to use the facilities going forward.

I say taking it off them would teach them a lesson and send a strong message. It will never happen.

Soldato
He was president of UEFA
Which is one of the confederations of FIFA, he was on the executive committee of FIFA who decided where the World Cup should go in this instance, not UEFA.

(Waits for no reply as usual when VincentHanna is called out after he tries to prove some kind of weird point that is utterly wrong/irrelevant).

Caporegime
Which is one of the confederations of FIFA, he was on the executive committee of FIFA who decided where the World Cup should go in this instance, not UEFA.

(Waits for no reply as usual when VincentHanna is called out after he tries to prove some kind of weird point that is utterly wrong/irrelevant).

Previous Examples?

I was just pointing out that he was President of UEFA, I've no skin in the game, I don't even like Football.

Caporegime
They were chosen over Australia, Japan, South Korea and the USA despite serious concerns about the weather being too hot, iirc they promised air conditioned stadiums but then straight after winning FIFA started talking about moving the tournament date to middle of the domestic seasons instead. The whole thing has stunk from the start I'm sure if you find the thread in the football football we were all talking about how the only reason Qatar could win is bribes and corruption.

Last edited:
Soldato
I genuinely thought that @Freakbro thought he was president of FIFA.

I had no idea who he was in the scheme of things tbh, apart from an ex player :p

So if your correction was wrong, I didn't even realise as I don't follow football much either, so no worries

Though Qatar getting the World Cup always did seem like a stupid idea, and it's a surprise to no-one that there were bribes going on

Soldato
I was just pointing out that he was President of UEFA, I've no skin in the game, I don't even like Football.
I've heard he likes chicken pasta and white wine as well, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread.

Also, you don't need to post in every single thread in the forum, especially when you don't take an interest in the subject. It adds very little to the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom