1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin in Dundee Closes

Discussion in 'Motors' started by ShiWarrior, Jul 1, 2020.

1. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

2. Diddums

Capodecina

Sad day, hopefully those 850 manage to find something new, but we live in tough times sadly :(

3. ezekial

Gangster

Rip

4. ci_newman

Sgarrista

I guess you didn't read the article :p it said there was only 120 people left who haven't found alternative employment yet. The closure was planned from Nov 2018 :p

5. MissChief

Capodecina

As car tyres have gotten progressively bigger with even your run of the mill hatchback now sporting 16”, 17” and even 18” wheels and the proliferation of cheap (and nasty) tyres from Asia that Mandy will take over the double the price Michelin’s on her Juke, it’s no real surprise. Sad, but not unexpected. Try going to any tyre dealers these days and ask for any decent tyre brand and they’ll tell you it’s not in stock and needs delivered next day. All they stock are cheap tyres as that’s where the demand is.

6. paradigm

Caporegime

I had worse than that, I was speaking to a local mobile fitter the other day who was attending to a neighbor (I'm due tyres on the TT), and his attitude was that all tyres are essentially the same, and that not one single road car needs anything more than the Chinese tat he was selling exclusively. I politely declined his service.

I kind of understand only stocking the cheap guff, as that's what 99% of buyers demand, but to not cater for anything else at all, and call yourself a professional? Nope.

7. MissChief

Capodecina

If that is the case then why do the manufacturers not save millions by fitting them to their cars? VW, Toyota, Honda and PSA produce 10 million cars a year. Think of the savings!

8. d_brennen

Capodecina

The price breaks in volume means dealers probably pay Chinese tat money for half decent tyres anyway

9. MissChief

Capodecina

True and some people will try and stick to the OEM tyres as well.

10. Iamzod

Mobster

The guy is an idiot, I even had Goodyears on my old 115bhp Mondeo as the Chinese "Sagitar P307" were utter bobbins in the wet, I changed them after they tried to kill me on the M1 after someone hit the central reservation in the rain causing everyone to slam their brakes on and I ended up being outbraked by the Honda Accord in front so badly that I stopped braking & instead went round him on the hard shoulder.

11. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

This seems to be quite a British thing too, in parts of Europe you come across even absolute bangers fitted with 4 decent tyres.

12. Nasher

Capodecina

The road safety brigade should be focusing on crap tyres and brakes instead of people going 2mph over the speed limit. I wonder how many of them use the cheap stuff themselves.

13. MissChief

Capodecina

Makes me wonder if there’s a gap in the market for a tyre depot with decent tyres so discerning motorists can arrive and get a decent tyre fitted there and then.

14. Gaygle

Capodecina

I've noticed this too! It's incredibly sad, but I noticed this in Prague and the "least" premium tyres people seemed to have was Kumho/Vredstein tyres. I didn't see any Happy Gallop/Linglong/Wanli tyres or similar.

As I've always said, cheap Chinese tyres should be regulated, which would probably mean banning the vast majority of them. In *everything* else we have, not just automotive, but in all areas of life, we have minimum safety standards that things must reach before they can be sold - yet for tyres, as long as they're black, round and have 1.6mm tread I can fit them to my 2 tonne car and drive at 70mph. It's madness.

15. jamoor

Sgarrista

They are already regulated aren’t they?

16. Rroff

Man of Honour

Dealer put some cheap and nasty tyres on my truck and it was lethal in the wet - the difference to the not cheap enhanced wet grip tyres I'm using now is massive to the point it should be criminal IMO the other tyres are even sold.

17. Fusion

Capodecina

Surely there must be British/European regs of some sort?

18. Nasher

Capodecina

There are minimum standards I think, but they are pretty low.

My Fiesta ST came from a used dealer with Chinese ditchfinders and it was horrible (the ride quality and grip). They also had cracking sidewalls after only 2 months and had to be replaced, because I didnt want to die.I

Anything load bearing or important to safety, dont buy Chinese. Buy European, Japanese or American...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  19. Basher

Sgarrista

Clearly the market for that is diminishing.

20. jamoor

Sgarrista

You mean just any tyre shop.

Usually they can get tyres from wholesalers in a few hours.