Microphones and Magnetic shennanigans!

Soldato
So, earlier today I said I thought my MMX 300 mic sounded half decent although it had needed to be repaired a month ago or so. I've been using it since I got it back and I seem to remember testing it when I got it back and it seemed ok...

As you can imagine I was a little miffed when I noticed that there was this annoying buzz again on anything I recorded! I checked connections etc and since I use an extension cable for the mic plug I tried moving that around to make sure it wasn't picking up interference from nearby power cables etc.

As I was climbing unde the desk with the headset on I found that the buzzing volume would decrease quite a lot when I touched the chassis. Not sure whether it was because I was earthing myself or something else but everytime I touched the case things got better.

I decided to plug my T1 headphones back in instead and as I was putting the MMX 300 back where I keep it on the desk I found the buzzing volume changed as I moved the headset around. I found that the mic itself seemed to pick up various amounts of interference depending on where it was. It picked up a lot when it was close to the lamp behind my desk and when it was near the power cable for the monitor but then it picked up none when the mic was touching the monitor screen and also oddly enough when it touched my keyboard :/

If the fact that my screen and keyboard seem to cut the noise wasn't weird enough, I also found that if I put my hand near the mic it picked up more noise. Even if I wrap my hand around the mic I found the buzzing went up and not from my hand rubbing against the foam :/

Explanations? lol

Soldato
Nobody has any idea why the mic picks up noise from my hand and loses noise from my keyboard? lol

LOL no, sorry, would love to be able to help.

I just know that some people had problems with the mic on the mmx 300.

CAn you try another mic? see does that cause problems? Maybe its your sound card socket, might be worth testing.

Soldato
OP
Well before I sent the headset to get repaired last time I tried it from my Titanium HD and moved the soundcard to anothers slot too and then also tested with the USB soundcard I got with the headset. I also tested here in the office and got the same buzzing.

I'm pretty sure I tested these when I got them back and they seemed a lot better but now the buzzing is back with the added weirdness of only buzzing in certain places and not near the front of my monitor or keyboard lol

Soldato
Well before I sent the headset to get repaired last time I tried it from my Titanium HD and moved the soundcard to anothers slot too and then also tested with the USB soundcard I got with the headset. I also tested here in the office and got the same buzzing.

I'm pretty sure I tested these when I got them back and they seemed a lot better but now the buzzing is back with the added weirdness of only buzzing in certain places and not near the front of my monitor or keyboard lol

Really Weird!! :D Maybe the keyboard and monitor are sheilding the source of the buzzing or something. It's hardly something like the cable touching something or grounding against something? And it's not touching or grounding anything when you are in front of the monitor and keyboard?

Soldato
OP
I thought the mic extension cable was responsible so I moved it around all over the place and then took it out of the equation altogether :/ Wasn't till I was moving the headset around that I noticed this weirdness lol

Wonder if I can record a video and sound at the same time to show what I'm seeing lol

Soldato
With my sound card I can sometimes here beeping and clicking especially when the hardrive is in heavy use. I can basically here the data crunching.

I think its probably the motherboard its leaky and not very good. I dont know if that could be your case though.

The mic is picking up something could be too sensitive wifi? Or there are leaky components.

Back
Top Bottom