• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Microsoft Locks Ryzen, Kaby Lake Users Out of Updates On Windows 7, 8.1

Soldato
Not really.
Use Linux, BSD.

Personally i switched to fedora, can't be happier for day to day stuff, kept win 7 installation for old games. Any new games will be Linux supported or I won't purchase them.

Soldato
Looks like you'll be missing out on a lot then.

Yeap.

I don't get why all the hate for W10 - just spend 30 minutes researching how to permanently disable cortana, all the apps, telemetry, marketing etc, and w10 turns into a much faster and cleaner version of W7. Yes, it requires extra effort to do so, though once it's done, it's done!

Soldato
Yeap.

I don't get why all the hate for W10 - just spend 30 minutes researching how to permanently disable cortana, all the apps, telemetry, marketing etc, and w10 turns into a much faster and cleaner version of W7. Yes, it requires extra effort to do so, though once it's done, it's done!

Yes I had some big problems with system updates destroying my internet connection at first but after I researched and fixed it plus removed all the apps I couldn't be happier with it.

I can't understand why anyone would want to use the older slower versions.

Soldato
I don't get why all the hate for W10 - just spend 30 minutes researching how to permanently disable cortana

Open the group policy editor and set it to disabled.

I can't understand why anyone would want to use the older slower versions.
Some people fear change, it doesn't matter if things are either the same or improved they don't like it because it's different.

It was the same when 95, XP and Vista arrived. Great O/S's but many people refusing to upgrade because they had gotten used to the one they had and convinced themselves the new one was inferior.

And then you had Windows 8 where the new Start menu design was literally night and day better but people complained because they couldn't see their desktop when using Start, despite the fact they couldn't interact with it while using the old Start either (I am not joking that was one of the biggest complaints).

Soldato
Got any links to removing all the telemetry and Cortana etc? I just don't use Cortana and no point to try since I don't have my mic active most times and they pretty much abandoned Windows phone.

Man of Honour
Yeap.

Unless you are happy with sticking with an older build though (which rules out future security updates, etc.) that is likely undone at some point with future major updates to W10 and MS seem to be increasingly making it harder to lock those features out with each update - also not all versions of Windows 10 are intended for use with GPE and in some situations there can be problematic side effects putting GPE on those versions (though this generally only affects a fairly small number of users) it wouldn't surprise me to see MS lock out the ability to do that easily at some point in the future.

Same with things like classic shell, etc. no guarantee they will be compatible with a feature update on 10 leaving you with potential issues down the line i.e. where the 3rd party software is trying to utilise functions that have changed or been removed and/or waiting for an update to the 3rd party software to make it work again.

People seem really short term minded when it comes to Windows 10 - so many issues I was complaining about months or a couple of years ago - got a lot of stick and/or derision for but now people are starting to see the problems for themselves - the general trend of the main Windows 10 thread has much more come around to my perspective over the last few months.

Windows 10 is increasingly not being built for the consumer but as a service the consumer is "supposed" to get onboard with - never mind whether it caters for their needs or usage or not - for instance it took a huge amount of effort to force them to make some concessions for streamers (and that probably only happened due to some high profile people involved) when it was breaking stuff for their usage.

Soldato
Haven't got issues with W10 but I hated how I got an update that ruined my boot sector so I had to do a reinstall, this was at least 18 months ago now when 10 was new but it left a bad taste, almost made me go back to W7 at the time.

Soldato
Unless you are happy with sticking with an older build though (which rules out future security updates, etc.) that is likely undone at some point with future major updates to W10 and MS seem to be increasingly making it harder to lock those features out with each update - also not all versions of Windows 10 are intended for use with GPE and in some situations there can be problematic side effects putting GPE on those versions (though this generally only affects a fairly small number of users) it wouldn't surprise me to see MS lock out the ability to do that easily at some point in the future.

Same with things like classic shell, etc. no guarantee they will be compatible with a feature update on 10 leaving you with potential issues down the line i.e. where the 3rd party software is trying to utilise functions that have changed or been removed and/or waiting for an update to the 3rd party software to make it work again.

People seem really short term minded when it comes to Windows 10 - so many issues I was complaining about months or a couple of years ago - got a lot of stick and/or derision for but now people are starting to see the problems for themselves - the general trend of the main Windows 10 thread has much more come around to my perspective over the last few months.

Windows 10 is increasingly not being built for the consumer but as a service the consumer is "supposed" to get onboard with - never mind whether it caters for their needs or usage or not - for instance it took a huge amount of effort to force them to make some concessions for streamers (and that probably only happened due to some high profile people involved) when it was breaking stuff for their usage.

Sorry but I just read this as nothing but tin foil hat, paranoid conspiracy ramblings. 'Could', 'Might', 'Perhaps' - all tentative language as people refuse to admit that 30 minutes of configuration later Cortana, telemetry, all apps, marketing etc can be gone. Sure, MS may issue an update that makes it impossible to do so. The Earth may also explode tomorrow. Lets focus on the now, shall we?

Once properly configured, W10 is nothing but a faster, up to date (Vulkan MGPU, DX12) version of W7/8.1, with the caveat that some effort (30 mins ish) is required to research and carry out the configuration. And no, GPE is not a requirement either.

Man of Honour
I simply don't gane anymore
Looks like you'll be missing out on a lot then.

Such as? Obviously gaming is mostly Windows based (but finally a lot of games are getting Linux versions now). Apart from that what big advantage does W10 have over a modern Linux distro? Most software has an alternative on Linux and if it doesn't then it can be run using wine or in a VM.

Personally I use many flavours of Windows and Linux and simply hate the way W10 looks and feels. My main machine is already W10 as my son uses it for games but I really do dislike it.

Man of Honour
Sorry but I just read this as nothing but tin foil hat, paranoid conspiracy ramblings. 'Could', 'Might', 'Perhaps' - all tentative language as people refuse to admit that 30 minutes of configuration later Cortana, telemetry, all apps, marketing etc can be gone. Sure, MS may issue an update that makes it impossible to do so. The Earth may also explode tomorrow. Lets focus on the now, shall we?

Once properly configured, W10 is nothing but a faster, up to date (Vulkan MGPU, DX12) version of W7/8.1, with the caveat that some effort (30 mins ish) is required to research and carry out the configuration. And no, GPE is not a requirement either.

Thanks - like many completely misunderstanding the point I'm making and looking very short term at something that is unfolding right before your eyes and too blind to see it.

It isn't so much might or could - MS major feature updates very much have and do make major changes often with significant compatibility fallout (i.e. 1607) there is a very high chance of an update undoing things like classic shell as the UI changes underneath and it doesn't take much observation of the direction MS is taking to consider that them going on to trying to lockout or make it much harder to remove things they want in the OS like Cortana at a future date.

Soldato

Paying customers should not have to spend time researching and removing the BS they did not want in the first place. People that are quick to go on about tin foil hats are the ones that are under water before they realize the ship is sinking.

Man of Honour
Paying customers should not have to spend time researching and removing the BS they did not want in the first place. People that are quick to go on about tin foil hats are the ones that are under water before they realize the ship is sinking.

Agreed. Without wanting to sound like a Linux fanboy (I'm not - I mostly run Windows and OSX), this is exactly the strength of Linux's approach of "free as in beer". If you don't like the approach of one distro you just try another until you find something that works for you. Sadly Windows is going in a direction I really don't like (both in terms of visual style/usability and also in the service based and data harvesting model). The problem with Windows is there is only one vendor; MS. So if you don't like the direction then there isn't much you can do about it. The only thing we can really do is just not upgrade to the newer version and make as much noise as possible. This is what people have done by staying with W7 (that, and general apathy to upgrading as W7 is simply good enough) and MS fight back with strategies like this to encourage users to upgrade. Gradually, piece by piece, MS will introduce features to its own advantage regardless of whether that helps or harms the customer. That's perfectly fine, of course, because they are a business. But we do need to acknowledge that Windows is there for MS and not us.

Man of Honour
This the reason I won't be updating my CPU anytime soon.

I thought that windows 7 was ok till 2020? looks to me that MS forcing people to go to the failed windows 10.

W7 is supported until 2020 but they don't have to do so as it is already past its original end of life date. They extended it due to issues with W8 I think. So at any time MS could just withdraw support or partial support like this. W8 has corporate support until 2023 (I've also heard 2018 referred to so not sure why the dates are different) so not supporting a newer processor is dubious (although probably accounted for in the license).

Soldato
W7 is supported until 2020 but they don't have to do so as it is already past its original end of life date. They extended it due to issues with W8 I think. So at any time MS could just withdraw support or partial support like this. W8 has corporate support until 2023 (I've also heard 2018 referred to so not sure why the dates are different) so not supporting a newer processor is dubious (although probably accounted for in the license).

Thanks for the info. So windows 7 market share has gone up while 10 has gone down. Well done MS.

Back
Top Bottom