Microsoft monthly charge for Windows 10

Soldato
Foley's sources are usually reliable, and this was always going to happen eventually. Exactly how long it'll be before something essential (like being able to run Chrome ) requires a small monthly fee is the question. The day after Win7 stops working, I'm guessing.

Man of Honour
Bit rich when most of the problems with updates are of MS's making and lack of proper features to manage them... then charge money to sort things which wouldn't even be a problem in the first place if they'd done a proper job.

Soldato
That's a business/enterprise focused feature, Windows 10 perpetual licenses are not going away any time soon.

I think they will probably start by thinking of premium features to move to subscription first, then everything will move once people get used to the idea of paying monthly windows tax....

Soldato
That's a business/enterprise focused feature, Windows 10 perpetual licenses are not going away any time soon.

If anything this should be more cost effective for businesses as well. The company i work for has about 40k employees globally, and probably 98/99% of them will use a PC, which means they'll be spending millions on licensing. And then you've got to consider staff turn-over, licenses already paid for those leaving, and new licenses for new starters. Having a monthly sub based on 'seats' at least allows them to spend on what they require.

Soldato
I don't get the point of paying for office 365 which is a lite version of office when you can get free versions of office alternatives which are fully featured.

Yeah I know it's about support and infrastructure costs.

Of course most of the places I work use VBA so there's no adjective or cloud solution to that.

Man of Honour
Think is confusing it with the online office apps. When its actually both online and full fat apps. :)

Depends a bit on the licensing as well - some places only have a fairly "lite" 365 Office depending on staffing requirements and so on while others use a more full fat offering which can change the perception of it if you've not used the full offering.

Soldato
How is Office 365 a lite version of office? It gains all the newest features first and is constantly updated.

There are different versions of office 365 and depending what you pay for you may not have all the functionality even all the apps. I can't find a list or table where it's broken down.

Soldato
There are different versions of office 365 and depending what you pay for you may not have all the functionality even all the apps. I can't find a list or table where it's broken down.
There's only 2 versions that most people will be concerned about, Personal and Home, which are both full versions with all the latest features. ProPlus that most people would get free from work is also full versions.

Soldato
This has been on the cards for a long time

Originally the thinking was to keep it free as a gateway into other Microsoft services. Since it looks like it isn't the cash cow theyd hoped, this is the next logical step.

Soldato
So you have the option of buying a monthly subscription, instead of paying up front for an OEM copy (directly or indirectly). Not sure what the big deal is.