Microsoft Office 365 Did Screen Sharing with Me - Worried

Soldato
Right I have a Microsoft Office 365 Business Premium account and had a problem with the desktop Word and Excel apps crashing all the time. So I contacted Microsoft support and someone rang me back. After explaining the issue they wanted to do some screen sharing. I was reluctant at first but agreed.

They told me to go to:

support.microsoft.com/help

and click on the I agree button and then to enter a 6 digit number which downloaded LogMeIn. They never actually took control of my computer but they did watch what I did to cause the crash. They fixed the issue by getting me to install the 64 bit version of Office 2016 but now I'm really paranoid about other people connecting to my computer. I went to the LogMeIn website and followed their instructions for removing the software but I couldn't find any trace of it on my computer.

All the emails came from an @microsoft.com email address. Am I just being paranoid here? This is the first time I have ever let anyone screen share on my computer before. But I thought I'd be pretty safe with Microsoft themselves.

Soldato
AFAIK no one would be able to reconnect without you going through the 6 digit number stage again.

If you read the page where you accepted the remote support you'll see:-

LogMeIn Rescue differs from other remote access products from LogMeIn and other companies in that it is a reactive, permission-based support tool. No permanent software is installed on customer’s PC/device in order to deliver support that requires remote access, and Microsoft support engineers can only remotely access a Microsoft customer’s PC with that customer’s explicit permission – permission that must be granted each and every time a customer requests support. Support from Microsoft will be initiated from this site only.

Soldato
OP
AFAIK no one would be able to reconnect without you going through the 6 digit number stage again.

If you read the page where you accepted the remote support you'll see:-

Ah, OK. That makes me feel better about it. Thank you for the reply. Hopefully I never need to share my screen with anyone else in future. It just isn't worth the worry.

Back
Top Bottom