1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Bouton Aide, 3 Jun 2021.

1. AStaley

Wise Guy

2. ic1male

Caporegime

You right-click on the Windows logo and you get Task Manager listed in there.

3. james.miller

Capodecina

Ctrl+Shift+Esc also opens it :)

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

Keep forgetting that one - useful for machines on a domain, etc. so you don't get the logon/so called GINA screen.

5. Rroff

Man of Honour

It is weird how they've basically borrowed hard from someone else's design but somehow completely not understood the design language and how it is utilised to improve not just the aesthetics and how information is presented to the user but also how they use it.

6. Phil2008

Sgarrista

You can get the task manager back if you use "StartAllBack" but than the calendar doesnt pop up when you click the clock for some reason and you cant alter the volume with the speaker icon?

7. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Both work fine for me

8. caff

Mobster

StartAllBack is great - a big shoutout to that.

But I dislike the fact it takes a 3rd party app to solve the crappy restrictive design choices of Microsoft.

It's solved all my issues with the taskbar in Win 11 - i.e. I now have ungrouped apps, with proper icons and labels, on every monitor. Plus, I've customised the start menu so it's much more suited to what I do.

I've also tweaked the colours of the menus and taskbar, going for a dark Windows theme. Basically it looks way better than Windows 10 ever looked now.

9. Phil2008

Sgarrista

Ummm I wonder why the calender wont pop up then, do you need to be signed in to you ms Account for it to work?

10. Phil2008

Sgarrista

its not free though, but its only a fiver..... A bug I have come across though, when you use toolbars and you rearrange the files, the files go back to where they were when you restart windows. But Im sure they will fix that in later updates.

11. humbug

Caporegime

Yup........ Intel: "oh good news we worked with Microsoft on Windows 11 for Alder Lake"

Yeah well i'm not installing Windows 11 until AMD confirm Microsoft fixed their crap.

I would suggest anyone running Ryzen sticks with Windows 10 until its fixed, that's what AMD recommend.

12. JRS

Capodecina

Yeah, going to take a bit for muscle memory to unlearn the old way.

Going to have to look at start menu replacements though, because I've got no intention of getting used to the Win11 one as it stands.

13. 4K8KW10

Capodecina

Ok

14. chroniclard

Capodecina

Working fine on AMD for me.
    Pin task manager to taskbar.

15. wesley

Sgarrista

How to create a local admin account at OOBE for Home Edition on the laptop .It force me to connect wireless . If I don't, it won't continue at all.

16. ThundyCat

Commissario

This is the first time a new version of Windows is not compatible with any rig I've owned. What I also find baffling, is they annouced a workaround to allow installing it on your pc if it's not compatible!

Think I will stick with Win 10 until I move down under in 2023, then buy a new pc, and THEN I will embrace Win 11.

Microsoft, have some of my middle finger!

Last edited: 7 Oct 2021
  17. Bouton Aide

Suspended

Why on earth are you people installing startisback. Do you realise you can just either leave windows 10 on or move the menu to the left side in settings? You just wasting your money and time.

That's not very nice. They have their reasons to why they have implemented what they have done. Mainly down to security.

Just bypass it. I was going to wait but decided to bit the bullet and give it a go. Had couple issues but sorted them now so now I have two systems running with currently no on-going issues.

You can't. The option doesn't appear if it detects a valid nic even if you unplug it. I tried it and I had to make an online account and then change to local once I was in windows.

18. 4K8KW10

Capodecina

Yes, Windows 8 all over again.
    By the way, I had never used Windows 8.

If Microsoft wants, I will never use Windows 11, as well.

19. ThundyCat

Commissario

Can you still get windows updates if you bypass the installation? I'm sure I read somewhere that you will not receive updates.

20. chroniclard

Capodecina

You cant anyway with your ancient CPU. :cry: