1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Bouton Aide, 3 Jun 2021.

1. something daft already!!

Soldato

Just installed the latest driver from Nvidia and wow. The screen has never looked this good before. Everything is clear and looks great. Finally I am getting the benefit of my 4K Samsung TV with my desktop as well as the games.

The best way to describe it is: The web browser no longer looks like an image of a web browser displayed on a screen, it now looks like the web browser is the screen. Like it is a tangible thing rather than an image of one. I guess this is how HDR is supposed to look.

2. mrk

Man of Honour

Just seen in GeForce Experience that a new driver is out so am updating too :cool:

Between my last post and your post Windows Update has polled these two updates as I checked back then earlier today and there was nothing whereas now those two same updates exist!

3. warbringerpt

Associate

Yep, got both as well. Anything "major" in the w11 update?

4. mrk

Man of Honour

Nope, just minor bug fixes for specific things. You can see the page for it if you click the learn more link on the KB bit in Windows Update.

5. Longbow

Sgarrista

Have I been messing under the hood too much, or does Windows 11 really come with 2 different style menus right out of the box? The first menu from My PC & Recycling Bin, the second menu from everything else. The first one also produces highlight boxes with too little padding.

[​IMG]

6. mrk

Man of Honour

Nope that's out the box. You even have two different styles of dialogue boxes when doing normal things like if you click the eject button of a USB drive from the tray icon the dialogue is one theme, right click the same USB drive from This PC or Explorer and the dialogue is completely different.

This might be a transition phase and they stick to only the new style in the service pack update next year but as it stands, it's too obvious and too messy hence why I've disabled the modern context menu and gone back to the Win10 style using StartIsBack's option to do so.

7. IT Troll

Mobster

Quite why they couldn’t have made the two menus look the same during the transition is a mystery. Every icon style from every release of Windows is on display somewhere. Yet they claim coherence as a design principle of (ef)fluent. They seem desperate to copy Apple’s UI but never have the attention to detail or polish to complete the job.

8. Longbow

Sgarrista

It's a mess.

[​IMG]

9. Trox

Mobster

10. ThundyCat

Commissario

Very clever way of installing Win 11 on a PC that fails the compatibility checks.

11. something daft already!!

Soldato

There's a much easier way by altering a single reg key.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2021
  12. enigma27

Wise Guy

13. AStaley

Wise Guy

14. IT Troll

Mobster

Imagine how inconsistent it could have looked if it hadn't been designed with universal, coherent principles...

[​IMG]

15. mrk

Man of Honour

Ok so two things I have been faffing with this eve and only just finished said faff, slightly annoyed but at the same time found some zen...

1: When Windows has been running for a while and you have an Explorer folder or few open, dragging icons/windows etc will result in some lag that causes the cursor and window being dragged around to rubber band about slowly until it finishes whatever path your cursor was moved about in.

This is not a hardware issue. It is purely an Exporer.exe issue with Windows. This was an issue on Windows 10 too but it was mostly rare (I never saw it happen on 10 but others did on Reddit). Windows 11's DWM seems to amplify the issue in orders of magnitude. It only happens when an Explorer window is open minimised or not doesn't matter).

Multiple people offered multiple "fixes" but the only thing that I found to be consistently reliable was to end any instance of Explorer.exe in task manager and start it again.... Until now. I found mention of a setting in Windows 11 under Visual Effects called Transparency Effects (just search the term in your start menu and you'll find it come up). This makes any Explorer WIndow slightly transparent and blur to the desktop wallpaper. Initially I thought this was a cool feature that looked neat but knowing what I know now, I'll be happy with standard dark Explorer folder window backgrounds thanks.

Toggling this setting off fixes the issue completely but bear in mind you may see the issue again if you have other apps running that use blurred transparency effects (Wox launcher has been mentioned on reddit too etc) so just keep those app transparency effects off if they blur in front of Windows as DWM will throw a fit after a while.

2: The inconsistent dark system theme annoyed me especially task manager to the point I wanted to see just how quickly I could mock up a dark one i Photoshop. I did it in a few minutes :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

All I did was invert the colours and then change the black BG to a dark grey to match the dark theme. If I could do that in minutes then what in the solar system's arse have MS got as an excuse to not dark theme things like this?!

16. IT Troll

Mobster

MS Office apps often drag like they are stuck in treacle; Excel is particularly bad. The workaround in that case is to disable graphics hardware acceleration within the app’s options. I guess my GPU isn’t strong enough for a graphically demanding app like Excel.

17. mrk

Man of Honour

The Office window dragging bug is not the same issue as with Windows dragging though. This is purely a DWM issue. You will still get the Office issue if you turn off the visual effects mentioned above!

Although not seen the issue in Office since going to Office 365 ages ago :p

18. dante6491

Soldato

Experienced a couple of bugs - I have two screens on for WFH. If I click on start on the second screen then start typing as if I was searching it just closes the start menu.

Secondly, windows settings does not load sometimes. Irregular and infrequent so I do not know what I am doing to cause it but yeah. Just refuses to load.

19. Gimpymoo

Capodecina

Very cool.

That would have saved me a load of hassle installing onto multiple "not compatible" PC's :)

20. Nutty_Death

Hitman

I get that start menu issue too. Seems to happen when I have a game and try and use the start menu at the same time. I'm also using two monitors.

Pressing Windows key seems to work though