1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Bouton Aide, 3 Jun 2021.

1. ED209

Soldato

I am currently downloading the W11 ISO from Microsoft. 5.1GB

2. Participant

Caporegime

The biggest benefit for me so far is for people with HTPCs / media stations in terms of HDMI handshakes and HDR.

The HDMI handling of sounds and connected soundbars etc. is now seemingly bug free and reliable, whereas before I had all kinds of fun getting sound to work after resuming from sleep. HDR seems to just work every time automatically.

It also handles multiple window layouts much better.

3. Jimbo

Soldato

So I woke up 7 and at 7:30am I checked. Windows update says This PC can run windows 11. So does anyone know what time in uk? No hurry but would be nice to do the upgrade before I start work at 11 today.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2021
  4. turbot1984

Mobster

TPM 2.0 alert on mine, will have a play later

5. malachi

Capodecina

Go to the link a few threads up and download now from the MS website.

6. Jimbo

Soldato

Cheers will do. :)

7. apatia77

Mobster

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

You can use this link to download the Windows 11 Installation Assistant or other Windows 11 upgrade options if you do not get the update via Windows updates.

I'm doing an upgrade on my laptop using the Windows 11 Installation Assistant right now.

8. Jimbo

Soldato

Yeah thanks mate I'm doing installation assistant now. :)

9. JaseUK

Wise Guy

Just upgraded to Windows 11 but find it odd that I cant move the main taskbar to my 2nd monitor without having to first make that monitor the main display. I run dual monitors and like to have my main taskbar on the secondary display, that way I can still see the taskbar if I'm gaming (full screen) on the main display. Is there a fix?

10. Jimbo

Soldato

Well this hasn't gone too well for me. It's giving me something went wrong message after 70% during install. Error code 0x8007007f.

11. Grim5

Sgarrista

never hgad any issues with soundbar sound in any format

but any hdr improvements would be very welcome

Has anyone had issues with drivers or general PC gamer software not working?

Is game performance worse?

12. mrk

Man of Honour

MY EYES!

13. apatia77

Mobster

Used the Windows 11 Installation Assistant tool to upgrade on my laptop and all installed rather quickly and without any issues.

14. mrk

Man of Honour

Very strange as I did nearly the exact process but simply ran the setup.exe that is on the USB created by the github MCT from within Windows 10. I got the prompt to accept the warning during install for unsupported hardware (CPU) and off it went installing. Must be other hardware factors at play then I imagine.

I was even browsing online and watching youtube during the install until it got to about 90% on the blue screen (you can alt/tab or WINKEY etc) when it starts the phased restarts to continue installing.

Edit*
    The Github MCT has been updated to support release build. They are still using the 21H1 MCT itself however as the changelog says it has more capabilities. I suggest anyone having issues to try that. GIthub MCT > Windows 11 > USB creation > Setup.exe from the USB. You need to make sure your OS drive is GPT and Secure boot is enabled as mentioned.

100% for me. My Windows 10 was an old install which was inplace upgraded from 7 which was inplace upgraded from Vista and I still had zero issues.

Having used it all night now I like most of it. Little finishing touches that just need polishing like window min/max animations that are a tiny bit janky right at the start of the animation, as well as giving us the option to group start menu programs like on 10. MS did this with 10 initially too remember, they had no start menu features to group apps, but then in a later major update added these features.

15. Nevakonaza

Soldato

Cheers for that @apatia77,Downloaded the "Create Installation media" :)

Does anyone know good "reputable" software that can show my Windows 10 key for me? and wont nick it? lol

16. ic1male

Caporegime

Are you doing an in-place upgrade?

17. Grim5

Sgarrista

you mean My Computer in windows?

18. Bouton Aide

Suspended

0 days to go

19. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

O wow is it now ?

20. Jimbo

Soldato

All fine now.
    All fine now. Seems it didn't like my undervolt on my gpu. Put back normal now windows 11 installed. :)