Mid Range Speakers

Soldato
How much room have you got on your desk? I assume your budget is £200 max and not just for the speakers. You could get a dedicated amplifier too if you could increase your budget.

I have these speakers and my brother has the amp and loves it. https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-rs202d-dali-spektor-2.html

I would contact your nearest store and see if they have the ones mentioned above to demo in store. If you can increase your budget I would deffo recommend the dali spektor 2's but again, make sure you demo in store with the amp to be sure you are happy with the sound.

Soldato
OP
@fobose there's plenty of room on the desk, however the amp may be overkill as it's a small office/study.

So you think they would be good on their own? I'm liking the Bluetooth functionality from the Steljes as it means I could switch easily between PC & TV, and they have in built amp?

I suppose I would really need to hear it all in store as sound quality is subjective. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Soldato
The Dali's sound very good at low volumes. I have a much older amp (Onkyo A9010B) with mine in my small (2.2x 2.7m) study and they blow me away each time I use the setup.

The Yamaha amp also has bluetooth so you can use the setup with your mobile/tablet etc without needing your PC on either. In addition, you can connect devices like an Amazon Echo dot to the amp and if you have multiple dot's, you can use multi room and have decent sound coming from that room in your house. The amp also has DAB radio if you like listening to the radio.

On a side note if you do get a seperates amp, you will need to buy some RCA to 3.5mm cables to connect your PC and Amazon echo etc, I use the amazon basic ones for about £5 and they work very well. Speaker cables is something else you will need. Don't buy any from richer sounds as they are overpriced. Look on amazon for 'KabelDirekt 15m speaker cable (2x2.5mm' and 'Fisual Easy Fix Banana Plugs - 4 Pack' - banana plugs for speaker cable ends only with the amp I recommended, the amp has a spring type mechanism.

So you think they would be good on their own? I'm liking the Bluetooth functionality from the Steljes as it means I could switch easily between PC & TV, and they have in built amp?

Oh and sorry for not replying to this. They do have a built in amp and I bet they will sound great if your only used to your monitors in built speakers. If you get to try them in store and you like the sound, go for it. I personally would pay a bit more (ok well nearly double!) and get a dedicated amp though but that's just my preference!

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye these the model Steljes?

https://www.richersounds.com/steljes-ns3-black.html

I'd rather buy new with warranty, unless you rate the Ruark very highly?

That’s the one :)

They’ve got a sub out if I remember correctly - means you can add in a small 8 inch subwoofer in the future if you want a bit of low end punch.

Haven’t heard them myself so can’t comment on sound quality but they’re generally well regarded as a one stop solution.

Soldato
If you want some other suggestions for passive speakers, then I can also recommend the Monitor Audio Bronze 1. My bro has these paired with the bundled Yamaha amp and if you ask RS I am sure they would do the same price if you preferred the sound of those.

I also demo'd the Q accoustic 3010i's first and thought they sounded good until I tried the MA and Dali. Everyone's ears are different though so what I like you might dislike!

I personally prefer the Dali sound over the the MA but the MA bronze 1 do look a lot nicer than the Spektor 2 especially with the grill removed if that takes your fancy (which is also magnetic).

Soldato
Woohoo!! Congrats :D Yup you are being a bit silly but don't worry. The dust covers pull off. Very carefully pull them slightly at the top then bottom (or vice versa).

P.S they take about 200 hours to 'bed in' so you will notice an improvement over the next few weeks on the sound.

Here is a pic of mine.

GHUKapf.jpg

Soldato
OP
@fobose thanks, glad I didn't call RS!

I actually got an open box Yamaha unit, so the bundle cost £318 which is ok with me. I'm really liking the sound, it could be placebo but I'm sure I'm hearing sounds I didn't pick up before with headphones. :)

Is that a bass unit in your photo?

@hornetstinger thanks for the advice, I didn't see the suggestion regarding Celestion but I'm happy enough with the purchase.

Soldato
That is a very good price and I am glad you are enjoying the sound. I bought my setup in June last year and have been very happy with it since.

If you didn't take out the 6 year warranty on the Yamaha unit, I would give RS a call and ask if you can add it. It's normally 10% of the price paid so should be around £15 depending on how much the yamaha was. If you don't use it, you can claim the £15 back after the 6th year so seems a no brainer to me :D I added a note in my calendar with my receipt for all my purchases from RS.

I don't have a sub woofer, I think the Spektor 2's give me enough in the low end for my PC setup. Under my desk in my very large old P182 PC case. To the right of that is some rubber dumbbells with some push up bars on top of. Of if you were refering to the thing next to my left speaker, that is my onkyo A9010b amp!

@hornetstinger - I've been looking at stands for a while now for my desk. I just can't decide what I want :D Where does your product code refer to?

Soldato
Windows 100% volume. I use the amp to control the volume. You can use either but I think from a quality perspective it is best to keep the volume in windows at 100%. Keep the remote handy on the desk if the amp is too far away ;)

Soldato
OP
After a few days, I have to say I'm really enjoying this set up and it's a great addition to my cave. :)

I'm using the Bluetooth function to play my LG TV audio but it doesn't sound as good as other sources via Bluetooth. Is this likely due to the Bluetooth format i.e. would I be better connecting the units with a cable?

Or, is Bluetooth a decent format for connectivity?

Oh, and another question that may seem a bit silly... The speakers have L & R on them but surely it doesn't matter which way round they are so long as the cables are connected to the correct L & R for the actual set up?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom