Mifi help required

Soldato
Hi folks

Fibre is cabled on our street but due to a dispute over digging up the carpark we can't get fibre (we're renting). WE have an adsl internet connection but it is shockingly slow, sub 1mb. I've done all the usual, checking out different routers etc but the fact is less than 1mb comes through the wire in the wall. Just loading up an ocuk forum page takes 10 seconds!

After a year of tethering my phone to pc when I need a fast network speed (and worrying about my 6gb monthly data limit) I'm looking at Mifi as a viable alternative. I get a good 4g signal in the house on my phone and am currently using virgin, which I understand runs on the EE network and as it happens EE are doing lots of Mifi offers.

I want to start gaming online again (gave this up when I moved in and have been playing single player games due to terrible connection):

What sort of ping am I likely to get running my PC from a Mifi router into the PCI express network card on the pc? Will it be low enough for gaming?

My second question is about the amount of data. If I download a game from steam obviously I can monitor this because I know the size of the game (it currently takes about 4-5 days to download a 20gb game) but what about the data use when gaming?

What sort of data amount will say 10 hours per week online gaming use?

My third question is about movie streaming. I used to watch nearly all my TV online at the previous address via netflix (80mb fibre) but have since cancelled my account due to the rubbish adsl connection.
What amount of data will I use for say 1-2 movies per week?

I'm about to order the 50gb per mth 4g mifi plan from EE but need a bit of reassurance that this will be enough data and will be fast enough.

Thanks for reading.

TLDR: Will 50gb per mth 4g mifi be enough for 10hrs per week online gaming, 25 gb per mth steam downloads and 2 movies streamed per mth via netflix.

Soldato
2 movies a month or week? If a month then you might get away with 50Gb a month data.

Gaming doesn’t use much bandwidth (apart from downloading the games/updates). Latency will be an issue if you’re a first person shooter kind of gamer. 20-100ms latency would be normal.

I ate through 50Gb a month on Vodafone working from home a day a week, no movie streaming and two of us with iPad/phone updates, windows updates etc. I think you’ll be getting very close if not over 50Gb a month. EE do bigger packages from memory if you get decent signal on their network.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your response BigT.

It's currently £35 per month for 50GB and £50 for 100GB so the bigger one looks ideal.

With black Friday approaching maybe it's worth waiting.

Soldato
Yeah I got Vodafone 50Gb for £25/mo in last year's Black Friday deals.

I have to say though it is nearly impossible to stay within the limits. The amount of data that OS/App updates use a month is insane and you only notice it when you're on a metered connection.

If you get good signal with them then I think EE offer better VFM. 200Gb a month for £50 https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details#

Back
Top Bottom