Might be upgrade time...

Associate
Afternoon

Any advice greatly appreciated!

I bought my kit nearly six years ago in 2011 and to be honest I've been chuffed at how it's kept able to play most stuff I throw at it. Thinking it's getting a little creaky now though. Generally used for games.

Don't have specific budget, just want to make sure any cash I do spend is cost-effective and reasonably future proofed.

Asus P8Z68-V Intel Z68
Intel i5-2500 3.30 GHz (not overclocked because I'm a wimp)
GeForce GTX 460 OC 1024MB GDDR5. Figure this might be the most obvious place for an upgrade but not sure what to.
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Can I just buy another identical pair and insert them into the spare slots or is there a better way? And btw how expensive is memory at the moment?!

I use 2 x 22" monitors which I'm happy with. No HD capacity issues and the OS and most applications are on a SSD. Win 10. 530W PSU.

If anyone knows what might be worth investing in that'd be very interesting :)

Thanks
AJ

Associate
The 8gb rx480 would be a great upgrade and are the cheapest I have seen right now. I would get one of those and then wait to see if AMD's RYZEN CPU is worth the hype, then decide on either Intels i5 or AMD competing CPU in the same price bracket. Then of course a motherboard and 8 or 16gb of DDR4 RAM. But I definitely recommend getting the rx480 now

Associate
Also if your CPU is a 'K' unlocked CPU, man up stop being a wimp and get that sucker overclocked! then you won't really need a new CPU motherboard and RAM, thus saving you a small fortune!

Associate
OP
Haha fair feedback on the overclocking, I ought to man up and get on that. I do already have a Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler installed which I hope would be sufficient.

My monitors both have S-VIDEO input (and VGA) but no HDMI which I've just realised might make a GPU upgrade more challenging.

Adam

Soldato
You really want a monitor with HDMi or DVI.

VGA will do the job, but it's not ideal. I don't think anyone ever really used S-video, it's one of those standards that never really caught on.

Back
Top Bottom