Mile Muncher for £2-3k

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

well basically the roveer 420si is just becoming to costly to run on a weekly basis (300miles average) and is staarting to develop a few problems so I've decided to take the plunge and buy another diesel mile muncher.

With the other car being a 1.5DCI megane which quite literally has half the running costs as the Rover its definetly a diesel Im after.

Main criteria

Reliable
Economical (50 MPG would be nice)
Comfortable
and biggish same sort of size car as the rover would be ideal due to baby and needing to carry prams etc about.

Cars I have been looking at just from quick searched on Autotrader

Volkswagen Passat 1.9TDI
Volvo S40 1.9 TDi
Volvo S70 2.5 TDi (maybe not economical enough)
Mondeo
Vectra
Peugeot 406 HDI
Citroen Xantia

both volvos are in there mainly as i found the first one in S reg form 77k on the clock for £1k which i thought was a bargain and the second was £1200 but had 150'000 on the clock. I've never really looked at volvos but if they meet the criteria I'll certainly be interested.

The main 1 that has sparked my interest is the Passat which seems can be had for reasonable money and from what I've read are built to a high standard very reliable and meet all the criteria above. something like this

1999 V Reg Volkswagen Passat 1.9 SE TDI 110 BHP [AC]
4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 131,000 miles, Metallic Green, Service History, Remote Central Locking, Electric Windows, Electric Mirrors, ABS, Climate Control, Power Steering, Drivers Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Alarm, Immobiliser, Body Coloured Bumpers, Drivers Armrest, Height Adj Drivers Seat and Steering Column, Multi Function Trip Computer, Radio Cassette, Rear Head Rests. £2,250.

anyway anyone else got any other thoughts ? experiences ?

Associate
I really like the Passat, owned two, driven a few more and am impressed with the durability and performance even on ten year old models.

The Passat will go on for ever if properly cared for but... parts and special care can be expensive.

TBH I would be looking at Mondeo's at your price range.

Back
Top Bottom