Milkyway@home - September update

Associate
I've only got a little one :o

cpartcert1.php

Associate
Ive got two GTX460's now that need a project until seti is back up.
Einstein is running on all my cpu's and the cuda app only uses 8-9% so thats no go.
Milkyway has no fermi app yet:(
CPDN no gpu.
Any sugestions? Should be somthing we have a team for as they are currently doing collatz just to keep them warm.

The postie dragged this to the door today and ive just scraped into the world top 20 for RAC:D

cpartcert1.php

Associate
Fantastic tiffy Mr Kolala sah:)

Was thinking about folding but seti came back up so its warm for now;)

Two more 5970's fell into my hands the other day.

Not sure if this will work but im going to try 4 in one rig,i think 8 gpu limit for drivers so might be a winner.
1500w thermaltake should arrive soon but ive also ordered a daisy chain lead so i can bung another psu in if needed.

I think Mr Toxic is running these psu's , are they any good, and will it cope on its own(overclocking)?

Man of Honour
I think you might be pushing it.
5970's @ stock are rated at 294W.
Overclocking em piles on the power but say a slight OC for 300W
Thats 1200W just in GPU your already at the max before the PSU starts to lose efficiency (around 80%)
Not sure what CPU/Mobo you are running, but your going to be knocking on 1450-1500W pretty quickly.

Also be careful to get motherboards with additional molex or power connectors to take the load off the 24pin connector or you will be melting sockets and pins left right and center :eek:

Thermaltake make some VGA specific PSU's up to 650W ToughPower Power Express 650 but not sure how easy they are to get over here.

Otherwise, sounds like fun, good luck, Milkyway@home was a pet fave project of mine when they rolled out Ati support when I had a 4850 a while back :)

Associate
Thanks for the reply, it will be a K9A2 platinum motherboard so its got the molex onboard:)
Motherboard should be ok ive seen several people running 4 295's for folding.
Ive also got a 1kw psu that could go in,im just not sure it will work from a driver point of view.:confused:

Soldato
Am a bit puzzled, want to start doing milkyway again so followed the link for optimised apps but there does not seem to be anything for cpu so i just downloaded the opt gpu app.
So i have the cpu running milkyway .22 and .05 of cpu per task and the gpu running milkyway .23 ati13ati .05 of cpu and .5 gpu does this look about right to you all just so i know then i can set n forget......Thanks peeps :)

Associate
Afternoon. Well your .22's are running a bit quicker than my .21's but i'm sure thats due to me using a Q6600 / 965BE and not a i7 ;) Can't help on the gpu thou. Its been months since i bothered and then it was on a nvidia not ATI so cant really help but i would have thought it would have been quicker than that. I'm sure someone else will let you know if its odd.

Back
Top Bottom