Milkyway@home - September update

Associate
let me know how you get on dont think i have any exe's other than cuda one for gtx460

OK i've got it crunching away with the stock app for CPU and the fermi app for GPU. I'm not sure it'll be worth it tho. Its looking like ~13Hrs per stock WU compared to the 0.21 app at 2.5-3Hrs

The next question is what is the stock app for 32bit apps? It may be the same for both but i'm not sure. The file i get is milkyway_0.40_windows_x86_64.exe. So does that mean its both versions or 64bit only?:confused: There doesn't seem to be another 0.40 app listed.

Soldato
Morning Mr Reaver sah, going by what it says on arkayns page and the mway forums they are in the process of updating the apps so i would have thought there'd be something new out fairly soon.:)

Soldato
Yup i know how that feels :)

cpartcert1.php

CGS

CGS

Associate
OK i've got it crunching away with the stock app for CPU and the fermi app for GPU. I'm not sure it'll be worth it tho. Its looking like ~13Hrs per stock WU compared to the 0.21 app at 2.5-3Hrs

The next question is what is the stock app for 32bit apps? It may be the same for both but i'm not sure. The file i get is milkyway_0.40_windows_x86_64.exe. So does that mean its both versions or 64bit only?:confused: There doesn't seem to be another 0.40 app listed.

Got mine to work too on gtx460 and i7 :)
The win7 32bit uses milkyway_0.4_windows_intelx86.exe this seems very slow rekon 12hrs+ per wu.
Hopefully optimised version will be out soon when they update the apps maybe with sse3+ support
Thanx for help ReaVerUK :)

CGS

CGS

Associate
Just a quick one might be me.
has anyone else noticed wu's are taking longer
my ati4750 was taking around 300secs/wu lots of em now are in the 1000secs +
is this due to a change that im not aware of ?

Associate
could it be this?..
Posted 1 Nov 2010 15:57:21 UTC
I've updated the Windows and 32 bit Linux applications to mostly fix the very slow workunit problem. The problem ended up being in the math libraries, which affected the Windows applications as well as 32bit Linux.

This should also fix the workunits failing on systems without SSE2 from the previous builds. I had built the BOINC libraries before with SSE2, since it was required for the N-body. However, since it is irrelevant if they use SSE2 or not, it only ended up polluting the non-SSE2 separation binaries.

Non-SSE2 versions will still be quite a bit slower. The SSE2 builds (which also covers 64bit) should be in the range of 25-30% faster than the old 0.19s. The 32bit Linux version is now using crlibm, and will be slightly slower than it should be now as a quick way to get math using SSE2. The 64bit Linux + clang build is still the fastest, but only by < 10% now over the Windows + SSE2 version.

CGS

CGS

Associate
could it be this?..

Ive detached and reattached still get 0.23 for ati gfx and 0.45 now for cpu
The ati gfx units now look fine about 200ish secs the cpu units seem about 10hrs + so pretty pointless really for cpu anyway
Think the optimised ati drivers for 0.23 were messing up the cpu workunits and slowing everything down

Update looks like cpu workunits will be around 30hrs now on c2d cpu :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to show these off while i can, not too many more to come;)

Must say seti being down has done MW the world of good:cool:

Nice tiffy s'ah

Seti being down has helped, but the real difference has been the release of the fermi app for MW, if it were'nt for that, a lot of us would be crunching einstein..

Associate
Very nice tiffy's all:)

Having trouble with my milkymonster build, can only get 3 5970's running in one rig.:(
As soon as the forth goes in boinc crashes with a driver error (caldd64.dll)

Still cant see anyone running even three so should make it top rig in the world on MW:D

Going to move it from a K9A2 over to a DFi board tomorrow (dfi has only three pcie slots) to free up a pcie for later.

Associate
Tiffy's coming thick and fast i see and impressive RAC Mr Toxic.

In fact impressive RAC all round I see credit that would have had several of you at the top not long ago, well done all:D

Cant get 4 5970's running have settled for 3 as soon as the 4th goes in boinc will not run:(
Have tried every driver under the sun, some will load in windows and show all 8 gpu's but again boinc crashes with a driver error.
Tried XP64 that showed all the GPU's but would not load the drivers:(
Would try vista but i dont have a copy of 64 bit maybe later.
Only good thing is i can now run it all on one psu (1500w tt)
Will post some pics when its ready to go in the rack:)

Associate
Not tried 32bit but with 4gb of system ram and 8gb of video ram not sure how it would cope.
Was under the impression that 32 bit had limit of 4gb combined video/system memory!?

Associate
Seems we have some double accounting going on in MW ATM:eek:

My usual daily credit runs between 1.2 and 1.5 million today i will be getting about 3.6!!!!!

Man of Honour
Niicce :D

Heaven help me if you decide to fold, mind you you would have to swap all those AMD cards. Unless you are waiting for the OpenCL client to let AMD dominate! :D

Back
Top Bottom