Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Soldato
The KU6400 "40" can still be had some places for £450, considering a "40 4K pc monitor is way above that its still a bargain I think :D.
I however still cannot decide if its 40KU6400 or the 49" KU7000, while the HDR10 compliance will be nice I just dont know if 49" will be too big to use as a pc monitor+combined screen for my PS4 and if an extra £400 is worthwhile :(.

Was last night to a known chain, looking at the 40KU6400, and my eye fell to the 49KS7000 which was sitting next to it.

49" is more than 1 metre long and 70cm height. Depending your distance from the screen it will be OK. However it borders to "too big" when you are having it at desk distance.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 7950 running with one of these "Plugable Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter (Supports displays up to 4k / UHD / 3840x2160@60Hz)" from the rainforest.

Works a treat for me so get 4k at 60hz

Associate
Thanks for that. I'd read in a couple of places that AMD's recent drivers broke compatibility with DP/HDMI2 adapters.

Also, if anyone can answer; does the wide colour gamut on the KU6400 work as with a monitor, ie visible all the time, or is it only apparent with HDR content?

Soldato
Anyone using the 49" KU6400? is it the same quality as the 40" reviewed above or a totally different animal? Looking for something for equal use as both TV and PC monitor and these tick the boxes.

Associate
Bought one of the TV's in the original post and have to say I am more than pleased for the £450 spent.

It is replacing a 28inch 1920x1200 Hannspree monitor I bought many moons ago for only £100 less and is superior in every way.

Games look superb on it and the TV side of it is brilliant as well.

Monitor prices are just ridiculous compared to going down this route.

Soldato
Probably a dumb question but here goes... how good will this screen be when not using full 4k resolution with a PC? My machine has HDMI1.2 and Displayport and may connect laptop via DVI. Let's say I can only go somewhere between 1080p and 4k resolution will this look naff? If I am limited to 1080p on my laptop will this be terrible quality?

I'll have this on a desk and would intend to use it for day-to-day work. At the moment I have a 27" PC monitor but had hoped to get 4k TV instead of a second PC monitor.

Any advice welcome on necessary displayport/dvi/hdmi adapters please.

Edit: I'd be working on this for 8+ hours every day. Is it likely to be tough on the eyes for this duration?

My gfx card is GTX560Ti in pc, laptop is an HP elitebook with AMD FirePro M4000. Will these cards be fine for general use? Not really gaming much.

Associate
Just received this monitor as decided to go with a TV rather than IPS ultrawide (and save myself a fortune in the process). Overall i'm pleased with the image quality but there is some black "smudging" along the bottom of the panel which is noticeable on lighter backgrounds.

Is this normal for a VA panel? Whilst noticeable it doesn't bother me that much to warrant a return unless anyone thinks it's unusual?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu84cmixyq209j1/IMG_20170221_103720.jpg?dl=0

Thanks

Soldato
Not sure I could have a large TV as a monitor but props to those that can do it.

Not surprising it works though considering the low input lag times

Soldato
OP
What they like or any other TV on the eyes when used for long periods of 8 hours or more of productivity and not gaming.

Exactly the same as any other monitor really, I have zero issues using a Dell 3417W at work, to this at home for 4-6 hours at at time, it just feels like a large monitor because I guess it is!

Just received this monitor as decided to go with a TV rather than IPS ultrawide (and save myself a fortune in the process). Overall i'm pleased with the image quality but there is some black "smudging" along the bottom of the panel which is noticeable on lighter backgrounds.
Is this normal for a VA panel? Whilst noticeable it doesn't bother me that much to warrant a return unless anyone thinks it's unusual?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu84cmixyq209j1/IMG_20170221_103720.jpg?dl=0
Thanks
Yeah, right at the very bottom mine is a bit like that.. and so is my Dell 3417W in work, I think it's where the panels are clamped at the edges you can get this kind of pressure marking.. but on mine it's hidden by the Windows Taskbar the majority of the time so ignore it.

Soldato
just done a price match vs C & M including the Samsung UHD player for just under £590 and getting it delivered Sat so cant wait.

( I know its gone up £40 or so since some guys got it before Christmas but still a decent deal consideirng I saved £150ish on the player)

Will be going on my desk and give me a few months to save up for a much larger living room tv and see how '17 models get reviewed etc

Back
Top Bottom