1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mining Rig Adventure Setup

Discussion in 'Crypto Currency & Mining' started by solominer247, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Th0nt

Soldato

OK I will try to make it brief but useful, your Electric Distributor (dependant on what area you live in) will provide a supply to the property. These are called the DNO. A Supplier will bill you the electric used i.e. nPower, BG, E.on etc.

Each domestic property is given a 60/80/100 amp supply dependant on age and location. If you want another 100 amp supply in theory you will have to request and pay for an extra one. You will not be doing that route - trust me.

What an electrition will do is install either connector blocks at your meter point and split the consumer units, or they will tap off your existing consumer unit a small dedicated ring for the loft. Whether its rated for 100amp or not realistically you will never achieve that as your house is depending on using that 100amp too.

2. solominer247

Associate

Hey, damn you are lucky to have someone like that in the family. I've been trying to contact my electrician for the past week, hardly any response. I will give it another week or two if no response then will have to look around for another.

Hey, thanks mate I really appreciate all this.
    Now I have better understanding. I knew it was toooo good too be true. I thought the electrician would be able to install another 100amp consumer box. Now after your exploitation it gets more complicated.
    I'm currently with SSE I highly doubt they will install another consumer box even if they did will be very expensive. Damn, I got excited mate.
    I will try search around on SSE let's see what they say for another consumer box?

My current consumer box has limit 100amps, if he distributes so the attic has 50amps that would give around 11500 watts to be used?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. solominer247

Associate

Hey, does anyone know any decent sized outtake fans to be installed on the wall?

4. Th0nt

Soldato

No SSE wont do that for you, years ago maybe but subcontractors do most work these days. You do not need another supply, just use the one you have! What you have to do is scale down the board to segment what feeds what in the house.

You do not need 100 amp for mining. There will be guys on here running a few rigs on their normal 32amp circuits. You would do well by taking your time and understanding these principles before throwing money at anything.

5. solominer247

Associate

OK mate. I will stick with 50 amp for mining which should be more than enough.

Now, I'm searching for the fans for outtake, do you recommend any , what should I look out for?

Something like the following:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40138896...&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. Vince

Soldato

You seen the power draw and noise levels of those things? For a small one you are looking at 70db and around 100w power draw, that is not an insignificant amount of draw/ noise. If you have a few of those you will certainly know about it.

7. solominer247

Associate

Hey, I plan to install 2 x 10inch for the time being should be enough for the outtake just for now.
    Both fans will create around 128db

8. Vince

Soldato

That is obscene, I would recommend seeing if that is viable for you if you sleep anywhere near or under that it might just be unbearable.

9. jigger

Capodecina

That will be painfully loud and unless you can deaden the sound from exiting the room possibly against the law.

10. jigger

Capodecina

Do you really need/want 50 amps of systems running at your home? That is a lot of heat and noise not to mention eye watering setup and electricity costs.

11. solominer247

Associate

Hey, sorry everyone for being a complete noob.

If I have 50 amp it will be future proof just incase I decide to add more rigs in the future. I will start off with maybe 8 GPUs, slowly build up until I hit maximum capacity.
    I rather have it all set up now in terms of electricity, wires etc. I understand 50amps that is alot, your taking about 11,500 watts.

Now in regards to the fans, I'm struggling to find one. The link I posted from ebay will be very loud. But honestly, I don't know what to look out for.
    I found the following but its typically used for bathrooms, kitchens etc :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bathroom-Ventilation-Extractor-Exhaust-Powerful/dp/B01BWWPS2E

12. Th0nt

Soldato

It would probably be easier to install an air con unit and contain the room to manage the temperature inside.

13. solominer247

Associate

I already was thinking that mate, but air con consume alot of electricity and it will end up eating my daily earnings :(

BTW, did you have a look at the fan?

14. Th0nt

Soldato

Was helping you make use of the 50 amp supply there! :)

15. solominer247

Associate

hehe!

16. Telecaster

Mobster

Look at hydroponics ventilation gear, similar use case, I have some stuff and it's doing a decent job of extract.

17. solominer247

Associate

Hey, I will check it out mate thanks.
    The link I posted from Amazon, would that be good enough?

18. jigger

Capodecina

I'd probably start by costing the price of insulating/boarding out the loft and getting the wiring done.

19. Telecaster

Mobster

Depending on how much gear you're planning to run really. But no, that one you linked to isn't really up to it.

20. MinLum

Wise Guy

@solominer247 you've mentioned a couple of times here that you're a noob. I wonder if you've done any mining at all? It looks like you're wanting to drive a Ferrari but haven't even booked your first driving lesson yet!

Have you looked at mining profits at the moment? Are you comfortable with their current return OF investment or payback timescales? What's your budget for your first rig? How much free income are you able to throw at the project, meaning, how quick from the initial rig to maxxing out your power availability?

Might be best to simply start off with a rig or two and worry about the attic conversion later once your mining rig is overheating your house.