Misgendering? Sam Smith is now they or them, not he or him?!

Soldato
Why not drop the remaining bit? I argue that it does more harm than good, so binning it would be a good thing.

You cannot just bin language though. It has to die a little with successive generations through lack of use or context. This is not just words that fall into disuse or are anachronistic but the grammer that rules the constructions of our language. While it is still useful, it will not disappear and is unlikely to be removed by dictat or force.:)

Personally it's nothing to do with being "scared", I don't want to be drawn into anyone's fantasy land. I don't know Sam Smith but I can tell you that 99.9% of people here would refer to "him" if he was standing near by, or if "he" forgot his manbag while rushing for the bus.

He's a he and will just have to get over being himself.

All this pandering to people's delusions is just silly. People have been managing their children's broken and incomplete picture of the world since the beginning of language, yet in the last few decades grown adults are being told in no uncertain terms that a delusional man in a dress is a woman and to disagree is a crime.

Live and let live and all, I don't want to tell anyone how to live their life. I just refuse to let anyone tell me what pronoun I have to use when I don't even know them. I'd refuse to let a male change in the same shower room as my daughter as well, while we're at it. Who is progressive enough to say that's fine? Hands up please

Fully agree with this to be honest. It's one of those things that grinds my gears that all of a sudden we have to pander to people who obviously have complex mental issues or trying to get back at the world for these. If we aren't careful we are going to end up in a position where people are being locked up for simply saying something someone else does not agree with, heard them talking about this for climate change opinions the other day on the radio and it's scary that it is even being entertained.

Man of Honour
You cannot just bin language though. It has to die a little with successive generations through lack of use or context. This is not just words that fall into disuse or are anachronistic but the grammer that rules the constructions of our language. While it is still useful, it will not disappear and is unlikely to be removed by dictat or force.:)

The same could have been said about other similar changes that have already happened, such as the removal of most of the rest of gender at a similar level in English. Or the removal of various other pronouns, such as "thou". Explicitly distinguishing between singular ("thou") and plural ("you") was more useful than gendered pronouns. What use do gendered pronouns have?

There is already clear precedent that, at least in English, pronouns can indeed be "just words that fall into disuse or are anachronistic". Just like other words.

I'd like gendered language to be removed from English. Not " by dictat or force" because, as you say, that is unlikely to work. I'm not l'Acadamie Francais :) It could be made to work by dictat and force, but I think that the solution would be worse than the problem because imposing changes by dictat or force would require a dangerous degree of authoritarianism. So I'd like gendered language to be slipped into the bin over time, through lack of use. Because it doesn't have any beneficial use. It's only use is to promote sexism. More commonly, it's just used out of habit and without any meaning.

You're absolutely right - Let us step forth, good Engliscan, and remove all the offending descriptors that are based on people's appearances - No more colour, height, weight, sex, race, age or any of that silliness.

Why are you suggesting such a silly thing and why are you trying to associate it with me? It's your suggestion, not mine. I think your suggestion is silly and at best pointless.

Were you trying to make a reductio ad absurdum argument? If so, you failed. The whole point of reductio ad absurdum is that the argument it's being used against must at least potentially lead to the absurdity stated. English does not have different pronouns for people depending on their height, weight, "race", age or the colour of any part of them. There's no path from my position to your absurdity.

Furthermore, it shall also be a crime to refer to a ship as 'she', lest it cause much offense in a person.

I disagree with you about that too.

Associate
The same could have been said about other similar changes that have already happened, such as the removal of most of the rest of gender at a similar level in English. Or the removal of various other pronouns, such as "thou". Explicitly distinguishing between singular ("thou") and plural ("you") was more useful than gendered pronouns. What use do gendered pronouns have?

English has gender pronouns because it lacks gendered nouns, there isn't many languages that do have gendered pronouns as most are gendered. Infact English is classed as a genderless language because it only has 3 gendered words. They have stuck around as ways of breaking up noun class and most linguists agree they are a grammatical tool useful in contextualising speech and flow rather than the shallow description of male and female. They've survived the 1400 year cut of spoken English development.

He/she may drop off over time, however when 99.99% of English speakers still use them as it helps the grammatical flow, you may be waiting a while. Unless of course one of these loony progressives gets elected and re-enacts the Cultural Revolution

Last edited:
Soldato
Talentless attention seeker.

He / she / they / it certainly isn't worth 10 pages of discussion.
Talentless? Do tell us what they would have to do to impress you?

They've clearly done very well for themselves so I don't think they could be accussed of being talentless, just because you don't like the music?

Back
Top Bottom