Misgendering? Sam Smith is now they or them, not he or him?!

Man of Honour
You can tell by my posting history im A) left and B) very pc

This is the same older generation that is literally destroying the economy but lets not derail the thread ;).

What's destroying the economy is that we are no longer the empire we once were. We made money from our colonies. After WW1 and WW2 we lost all of that and are returning to be the small island nation we originally were. I think most people on the left, and most PC people, would not want us to return to the days of empire to hold up our economy.

Man of Honour
Why do we even need gender pronouns anyway?

We did away from using gender in nouns in Old English.
Because people can't deal with their mental illnesses and demand that others participate in their fantasy and then expect them to be punished by the state If they dont.
I think @adidan is saying “why do we even need to use ‘he’ and ‘she’?”.

Associate
Further to my other post it might behove young Sam to listen to some of the lyrics from some Tom Petty songs or ones he's involved in.

The only reason Sam's famous is because of a blatant copy of this great Tom Petty song that I refuse to believe no producer involved with didn't realise before it was released. After all it's easier to feign ignorance and to say sorry than to ask permission in the first place.

The lyrics are the exact opposite of what he's saying; 'back down from what you believe in to satisfy my whims that represent a tiny fraction of what most people believe to be true.'

But even those of us that disagree with him still respect his right to think feel and think the way he wants to, but you can't expect others to simply toe the line and agree with you. Live free, live and let live, but respect the fact that there will always be people that disagree with you and your way of life, whoever you are.

Soldato
You know some other languages don't even have gendered pronouns.

For example, Finnish it's all gender neutral personal pronoun of "hän" - it makes everything simpler and equal.

I really don't understand why some people care so much and get so defensive, it's all a bit precious.

Associate
I really don't understand why some people care so much and get so defensive, it's all a bit precious.

It's because language is linked to culture and sense of national identity. Any cohesive group starts usually starts with common language.

French has very heavy usage of masculine and feminine nouns. I can't see them agreeing to rewrite virtually the entire language just to please some tiny minority with delusions of grandeur.

Languages evolve over time naturally. The only times they are altered through coercion is through some kind of dictatorial authoritarian regime.

Caporegime
It's because language is linked to culture and sense of national identity. Any cohesive group starts usually starts with common language.

French has very heavy usage of masculine and feminine nouns. I can't see them agreeing to rewrite virtually the entire language just to please some tiny minority with delusions of grandeur.

Languages evolve over time naturally. The only times they are altered through coercion is through some kind of dictatorial authoritarian regime.

They wont need to because English is currently destroying their youth (or something), no matter how hard the French try they can't seem to win people over to primarily using French, too bad the media is pretty much 99% English - honestly i find it funny that the conservatives in France think they can win against the de facto global language.

Even the EU is still recognising English as a working language of the Union, ignoring the fact that France was there first, ignoring that we're probably-maybe leaving.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a real shame. He was/is one of the best male vocalists in recent years and should want to be proud of that achievement. Personally, I'll struggle to advocate listening to his music from now on.

Associate
I have zero tolerance for this kind of stuff.

Utter BS. We’re all different but don’t start changing the language because you’re issues are deemed so important that you can’t cope with it any other way

Back
Top Bottom