• i7 6820HK
• NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
• 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD
• 1TB HDD
• 16GB 2400MHz DDR4
• Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)

AORUS X5V6 Official site

Drivers and Apps

I’ve never written a review before, mainly because I never been that impressed with any of my purchases. They lived up to expectation but never surpassed.

I’d waited quite a while to for Pascal to upgrade from my Maxwell GTX 980M (that’s another story….).

I bought my X5 from overclockers and got it next day Saturday delivery, I don’t do waiting!

Zkb3UzEl.jpg
cVbEPApl.jpg
tCJBxF7l.jpg
StnGrlbl.jpg
StnGrlbl.jpg

It arrived securely packaged within 3 separate boxes.

First thoughts:
Man, this is tiny!! Coming from a 17.3” behemoth to this lithe and light 15.6”. It’s way compact.
It’s fast! Boot times are immeasurable (OK, they’re not really but sub 10 seconds is just bloody fast).
Build quality feels strong with a mix of metals and plastics, minimal plastics.

Keyboard feels great to type and game on, enough key travel to satisfy. If you need to type for long periods (as occasionally do) it’s comfortable and key resistance is firm and satisfying.

Per key RGB backlighting:

EV0WGxMl.jpg
5LSud4Ll.jpg
ti5A3Yul.jpg

I have used block/entire backlit keyboard before, but this individual key backlighting is stunning. Masses of customisation option within the AORUS Fusion app. Light just the keys you use in a game and store that set up for that game, then store other key setups for other games. The Fusion app also allows key binding macros to shortcut as you need (not a feature I’ve used before but will certainly give it a try.

So far using the keyboard I haven’t missed a stroke or had a typo (if you spot any in this review don’t tell me :p ).

9dgzmI1l.jpg
XoYlEOql.jpg
nTZm02yl.jpg

15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 Wide Viewing Angle 120Hz & 5ms Anti-Glare LCD. It took me a few days to appreciate the display coming from a standard 1080p IPS. The 120hz refresh rate is fantastic for gaming and general usage. In general use everything smoother and faster in comparison to my old panel. 120Hz with G-Sync on this display makes gaming @ 100fps+ something to behold. I’ve tested with a few online screen test and this confirmed by appreciation of the superb screen.

Intel Core I7 6820HK – The Beast, unlocked. I think all of the new AORUS notebooks come with Intel’s monstrous unlocked CPU’s. This is the top spec for mobile CPU’s. My previous CPU (4720HQ) felt slow in comparison, and to be fair that chip is no slouch. Using the Command and Control Centre app, it was as easy as clicking the mouse to get this running at 4Ghz.

GTX 1070 (no ‘M’).

15K Firestrike, yes 15000, really.

This is a full fat desktop GPU, no cut down models with old ‘M’ suffix. This really is ridiculous, gaming at 1080p in ultra settings at 120fps:

X6uLRrcl.jpg
dWQe4QDl.jpg

Madness I tell you. Even playing graphically intense games like Far Cry 4 and Primal are rewarded with ~90fps. If you then overclock the GPU using the Command and Control Centre app, you can play both of these in DSR (2715x1527 res) at over 60fps.

I’m looking forwards to playing Project Cars on my 4K TV at native resolution to see how it fares.

Bring the noise! I have a standard test for notebook speakers. I must be able to watch a movie in my campervan whilst the engine is running (warmth and to power the leisure battery). If it’s audible clearly I’m a happy camper. The X5V6 does this with ease.

There are various options in the Fusion app to change the sound setting to the type of games you are playing and there is a dedicated Audio Equaliser to fine tune things further.

Temps and noise: These are my temps after the 15K firestrike run and an hours gaming prior to the run:

FXmDsGKl.png.jpg

Warm but not frightening. Noise levels are on par, maybe a touch louder than my previous GT72, but I find both of these easy to accept for the amount of power house inside this slick little machine.

Overall, the build quality is amazing, to the touch it feels premium. It looks fantastic, I don’t think there is a better looking notebook being produced at present. AND the power and speed it has continues to amaze and please me daily.

jHWgIODl.jpg

Oh, yeah. I love this laptop so much I got it a present:

eF7Ds7ol.jpg

I’ve probably missed stuff out, so ask questions and I’ll add information.

Peace.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your temps are pretty much identical to what I get in my 15" msi so it's good to know we have nothing to worry about.

Have you overclocked your 1070 at all to achieve 15000 in firestrike?

The 1070 runs project cars like dream. Although I only play at 1080p it rarely drops below 100fps on the highest settings so your 4K setup will look incredible!

The one thing I noticed though,and it's really going to bug me all day now - I spent around £1900 with ocuk AND DIDNT GET HARIBO!!

Edit: I like the look of the bag.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your temps are pretty much identical to what I get in my 15" msi so it's good to know we have nothing to worry about.

Have you overclocked your 1070 at all to achieve 15000 in firestrike?

The 1070 runs project cars like dream. Although I only play at 1080p it rarely drops below 100fps on the highest settings so your 4K setup will look incredible!

The one thing I noticed though,and it's really going to bug me all day now - I spent around £1900 with ocuk AND DIDNT GET HARIBO!!

Edit: I like the look of the bag.

Hi Andr3w, Yeah I overclocked the GPU and CPU for the 15K run. I used the Overclock Gauge, in the Command and Control Centre app.

Shame about the haribos :(

Associate
OP
I had fans set to automaximum, so they spin up to 100pc if required. They maybe got up to 80pc.

A little noisy but was pushing hard so expected, managed 4308.38 MHz. Temps hit 88°C.

Liquid Ultra on it's way, so let's see how far I can really push it.

Associate
OP
thanks for the review, looking to purchase the UHD version myself

No problems.

I’ve owned 7 different gaming laptops Clevo, Alienware and others. This AORUS is absolutely outstanding in comparison to any other machine.

Easily outperforms the Razer Pro with GTX 1080 much to the annoyance of my mate :D :D :D

Associate
Whats the battery life like on this? I know for gaming it needs to be plugged in but if I wanted to watch a movie or browse when away I want to able to use it for a couple of hours at least.

Associate
OP
Whats the battery life like on this? I know for gaming it needs to be plugged in but if I wanted to watch a movie or browse when away I want to able to use it for a couple of hours at least.

I’ve used it to watch a movie on battery with power settings set to ‘power saving’ just fine.

Associate
I know this is thread is dated however I was thinking of purchasing the X5V7 and was wondering how is your battery is like when browsing/youtube etc as the V7 is similar to yours apart from the CPU. Also did you have any issues? I had to return the X3 R7 as I 3 faulty machines!!!! How big is the machine? Do you by chance have any other machine to put side by side? Thanks and sorry for all the questions as I want to make sure I know what I am buying before I part with my cash.

Associate
I know this is thread is dated however I was thinking of purchasing the X5V7 and was wondering how is your battery is like when browsing/youtube etc as the V7 is similar to yours apart from the CPU. Also did you have any issues? I had to return the X3 R7 as I 3 faulty machines!!!! How big is the machine? Do you by chance have any other machine to put side by side? Thanks and sorry for all the questions as I want to make sure I know what I am buying before I part with my cash.

I briefly owned one of these but the QHD screen variant last year.

Battery life when using it for YouTube and the like was roughly 2.5 hours for me at best & with 70% brightness, but it was a very quick machine taking into account it has the i7-6820K. The one thing to bear in mind with these laptops is that the integrated Intel GPU is disabled and therefore solely relies on the dedicated NVidia GPU 24/7, which factors in the increased battery usage. In my opinion these laptops are really built for gaming on power rather than running on battery life.

In terms of overall size, for a 15" laptop it is on the slightly larger side - but not over the top though, I used to have a MSI GS70 which was my daily runner a few years ago and it was comparable to that so I was used to the size straight away.

Another thing to point out as well is that these laptops do run on the loud side, but Aorus have a software facility where you can tweak the fan speeds.

Liam.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi @Sky01454 ,

As Liam says above battery life with mine (1080p display) can squeeze to 3 hours with reduced brightness and power management.

I don't have another laptop at hand for a comparison shot but my previous 17" laptop was much thicker and heavier, the X series is relatively 'slim'.

Back
Top Bottom