Miss my IS200

Associate
I miss my IS200.

Keep thinking I should get another or maybe go for the IS250. I have a E320 estate at the moment which has the petrol 3.2 V6. Its quite quick but I miss the IS200s handling the merc just isn't as fun to drive.

Or something else sporty of a similar type?

hkgrannyis200.jpg

Associate
Car throttle on youtube are doing a project on one of these atm. Never been that interested in them before but the car actually looks, sounds and goes pretty well now they've modified it. Get another!

Soldato
Car throttle on youtube are doing a project on one of these atm. Never been that interested in them before but the car actually looks, sounds and goes pretty well now they've modified it. Get another!

Yeah I saw that, very interesting videos actually, despite being sponsored by eBay!

Looking forward to the rest.

Soldato
I loved our IS200 too, my uncle had an E46 320i at the time too and I preferred the IS in every way.

They're becoming really rather cheap now, and they do have a SportCross (estate) version; it's not the largest of boots but certainly a step up from the saloon if you need the space.

Altezza RS200. Were they quicker? Seemed sporty.

They were, but they're much much rarer and command a several thousand pound premium.

Associate
I've owned my IS300 Sportcross for coming up to 5 years now.

Nothing has ever really gone wrong with it, utterly reliable.

Reasonably practical, and just enough bhp + LSD = fun.

Best car I've ever owned.

Soldato

Won't be too long before he super charges it. Laughable mpg but they don't half shift once done.

I had a standard spec for a year and it was possibly the most comfy car I've driven.

Associate
I am on my 2nd IS200, first one was a 1999 and the my recent one is a 2003 plate. I had a E46 BMW 320I Touring and one other car between them. The IS is good car just the right amount of BHP to have a little fun, but i really wish it has lots more. The biggest issue now with the IS200 is rust, they are a fairly old car now and a lot on the road are rusting. I would like 3rd get GS300 or GS430 next, but i really need an estate.

Soldato
My mate has had a couple. An auto RS200 and a manual IS200 which he ended up supercharging. With a welded rear diff, it was a lot of fun.

He started to put a 3S-GTE (I think) into an IS200 for a friend but said friend messed him about so he handed the car back.

IS200 has an inline 6, RS200 has an inline 4.

Soldato
Yep, G and JZ series engines were awful on fuel, especially with an auto trans behind them. The GR V6 engines which replaced them are hugely improved. My old GS300 with 2JZ averaged 20mpg, the newer Mark X with 4GR does 34mpg and the performance is about the same after dropping to 2.5l.

When it comes to XE10 chassis the only choice is the 6 speed Altezza RS200, all the rest are kind of junk including the auto RS200.

Soldato
Yeah wouldn't mind a 3rd gen GS300 with the 3.0 V6, not that I have any need but great bang for buck.

Insurance rules out most options ATM though as I'm not willing to pay £1k+

Associate
I have had my IS220d for almost 2 years now. It is not as good as the petrol version, but I still love it. Almost 20k and it has been comfortable and reliable.

What makes a nice change for me is the dealers. Lexus main dealers are not cheap, but the service I have received from them has been excellent. In fact, I went there today for a problem; Last week, I had 2 front calipers replaced under warranty (They gave me a nearly new IS300h for 6 days while they sorted it), but I noticed my brakes started to squeal afterwards. Spoke to them and they told me to bring it back in. So, while I waited, they took the pads out, noticed a few high spots, sorted it out along with greasing the back, and gave it a wash. It didn't cost me a thing, and they have some rather nice coffee as well :)

I am thinking of a GS450h next since I hear they are rather rapid. :)

Back
Top Bottom