Missing networking features in Vista Home Premium - or not?

Associate
I'm contemplating whether to buy Vista Ultimate or Home Premium. As it looks now Home Premium will cover all my needs, but I'm unsure of the networking element and how much better Ultimate is here. Microsoft states that "business networking" is part of Ultimate, whatever that entails. Does someone know what the differences are in detail; I've read the official comparison which states little more than 'Ultimate can join a domain' etc.

I'll want to be doing thing such as connecting to work via VPN (client provided by Nortel and customised by my company), setting up a home network as well as setting up ad-hoc PC-to-PC connections.

Many thanks.

Soldato
Home Premium should be able to do that but if you don't need the MCE features of Home Premium then I'd recommend that you get Vista Business

This is the version I've bought as I find the advanced networking options of XP Pro useful and I have no need for MCE

Associate
OP
ajgoodfellow said:
Home Premium should be able to do that but if you don't need the MCE features of Home Premium then I'd recommend that you get Vista Business

This is the version I've bought as I find the advanced networking options of XP Pro useful and I have no need for MCE

I'll probably want MCE, or at least some other media center. And business lacks WMP with DVD capability etc. Such a pain, why does Ultimate have to be so expensive?!

I've basically got a home PC (midi tower) used for gaming / browsing / photo editing, but occasionally I can't be bothered to lug the work laptop home and want to do some "serious" stuff. Never used MCE before, but I will get a HD TV at some point and I guess it would be useful to get media across.

Back
Top Bottom