1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission : lets see if we can make a decent PSU die

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by MasterOC, Sep 6, 2018.

1. MasterOC

Wise Guy

so... heres where I am at
    see specs in sig for reference , just purchased a 2080 to replace the 1070 in the sig … so its a waiting game.
    transplanted the PSU I bought 2 years ago into current rig ( again see sig ) both the cpu and gpu are both clocked to the baws ( actually running a hungrier 780 atm as doner card whilst wait for the rays to arrive ) and hasn't missed a beat despite being only a 450w. I suspect its capable of more and is reservedly spec'd by superflower. I intend to overclock the new gpu to its neck and see where I go from there.

so my question / aim is …. I do intend on buying a new psu however I would like to see this little beauty die a death … just because. so , do we reckon a 2080 @ 2000mhz for example and current rig would end this poor psu ? or do we rekon itll champ it on out. or do you reckon itll die and take everything with it because I was mean to it ?

just a fun thread , will be on going fort next month or so whilst hardware comes in .

2. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Just keep in mind that if you succeed in killing the psu in this way that there is a chance that you could also lose other components. Just keep the 450w as a spare. A spare psu is always handy to have.

3. Vapo Reaper

Gangster

If it's not a decent PSU, you could end up taking out the components with it.... probably not a wise move. The whole point is that you don't want them to go bang :D

I do like your thinking though....

4. MasterOC

Wise Guy

Its decent enough . superflower are always my go to . ooooph , just means I'll have to buy more ;) . not to worried tbh I just want it to give up on me , may actually load it with older hardware that's probs allot more inefficiant . have spare corsair PSUs etc for testing but just wanna dee a good part go out in glory .

5. MasterOC

Wise Guy

That's not fun ;)

6. Vapo Reaper

Gangster

In that case let it pop ;0

7. Legend

Soldato

You are not going to be pulling 450W with that build unless you're doing some serious benchmarking and OC'ing.

I'd obviously see what info the reviews next week throw up regards power consumption, but assuming no annomalies, you should be fine in day to day use. I've seen plenty of people run 1080Ti's with a 450W and no issues, and that includes some power hungry games, but tests have shown things rarely getting above 300W or so.

People WAYYYYYYY over estimate PSU requirements, even those who think they're not. The standard of the PSU is a far more significant factor, component quality, voltage ripple etc.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  8. EsaT

Mobster

Yeah, Superflower is decent enough that after making reputation using quality capacitor in Golden Green, they "updated" it to Golden Green HX with third tier C(r)apXons.

Anyway if you want to make PSU go bang there's better way than risking any PC parts.
    Though would prefer to not list steps to do it, in case some "not the brightest bulb in the box" outsmarts him/herself.
    (though that would be just natural selection...)