1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MITX Board that will take a Ryzen 5 3600 straight out of box.

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor and Single Board Computers' started by macuser, Apr 16, 2020.

1. macuser

Hitman

Its been about 6 years since I've built a PC so am totally out of it as regards to latest PC hardware.

I'm struggling finding an MITX board that'll take a Ryzen 5 3600 without need of updating first. I'll aso probably stick an RX5700 in there as well along with 32GB ram.

Any ideas?

2. macuser

Hitman

edit: X570 board seems good choice but no stock and crazy prices!!!

3. IanAG

Wise Guy

I recently got an Asrock B450 ITX which was running a BIOS that supported the 3 series CPUs, it had stickers on the outside of the box stating such. I have the same motherboard I bought last year from memory which did not.

Might be worth checking with retailers directly, imagine other manufacturers may do the same.

4. macuser

Hitman

Thanks. You’re right, seems like a lot a lot of the 450 boards are now gen3 compatible straight out of the box.

5. McPhee

Soldato

Same here with a Gigabyte. Pretty sure it's the case for all new stock across all manufacturers. So unless you get unlucky and get a board that's been knocking around the warehouse for a year, you'll be fine.

If you do find you have a problem, AMD will loan you a CPU so you can do the update.

6. macuser

Hitman

Think I'll go with ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I Gaming, OCUK have just got stock in.

7. Quartz

Capodecina

Take a look at the DTX form factor, specifically the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII. It makes use of the overhang of the GPU by stretching the motherboard just a little.

8. macuser

Hitman

So what's the advantage of ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII over ROG STRIX X570-I and DTX over ITX?

9. Quartz

Capodecina

The board is slightly bigger which gives it room for additional features like extra M.2 drives.

10. jrwagh333

Mobster

At a huge premium

11. Infiniteey

Gangster

No extra M.2 drives. It is still 2 which matches the other Gigabyte and Asus X570 ITX boards. The Asrock only has 1 M.2 though so avoid this one unless you need that Thunderbolt 3.

I struggle to find any benefit of Impact over the boards, and being DTX really restricts case choice.

Just go for either the Gigabyte or Asus Strix X570 ITX.